1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Graphics software

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Fishing Forum, Sep 27, 2004.

Graphics software - looking at what Graphics software is about at the moment I currently us dreamweaver fireworks which is great but a little limited

So what Graphics software would you guys and girls recommend as Im looking for a new program or is the current one I am using worth staying with as the other Graphics software programs do more but are not worth the extra money

Its only for websites

Thanks for your time

Fishing Forum, Sep 27, 2004 IP
  2. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good question,

I think the newest version of dreamweaver is the best. Writes very solid code. As for graphics and web design, I would recommend Photoshop CS (with ImageReady) and Illustrator CS. How many sites are you doing in a month say? If you can do enough sites in one month to cover the cost, then it is worth it.

NewComputer, Sep 27, 2004 IP
  3. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    You say that Fireworks is "great but a little limited" - what are you trying to achieve that you are finding limitations with?

I've found that developing and combining techniques makes up for any limitations in the software; it is after all only a tool - you are the artist.

I also have FreeHand, Corel Draw & PhotoPaint, and PhotoShop and I still find myself predominantly (99%) using FW4 that I bought some 4/5 years ago :) And I know a professional photographer who's still very happily using PhotoShop 2.

Lever, Sep 27, 2004 IP
  4. Fishing Forum

Fishing Forum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your replies

I want to make better looking graphics and not being that great a things like this just wonder what people are using

I have fireworks mx which I am happy with but I was think over my coffee what else I could be using

Or maybe I should do a course on graphic design and spend the money on that :rolleyes:

5. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    If you've got time to spare, try experimenting with FireWorks to see if you can achieve certain results - what about trying to replicate an image or graphic you've seen somewhere? Ask yourself "how did they do that?" and try and create the same.

The best technique I ever learned was using layers effectively and, for me, that seemed to unlock everything else (and that was 6 years after a graphics/design course) - don't be afraid to copy images to other layers where you can change their settings in the layers panel - copy a photo, tint it with Xtras > Adjust Color and lay it over the top of another photo, group the two versions, draw a square over your photo, add a black-white gradient, convert it to a bitmap, cut it, select the photo, then select 'paste as mask'.

If things don't work out how you want them to you can always delete or hide the layers you don't want and use the original photo again. You did keep it safe on another layer didn't you?

Save your PNGs as your source files and export the best results as JPEGs or GIFs - then you can come back and modify them later when you find time for an update :)

It'll only cost you some time and you'll likely be doing something you want to do off the bat so have some fun :D

Lever, Sep 27, 2004 IP
  6. Fishing Forum

Best Answers:
    great info thanks

7. Aneley

Aneley Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Photoshop as a primary graphics programme (with image ready) and Ulead Gif animator, if I'm in the mood for making gifs.
    As far as making interfaces I find Photoshop to be most rewarding.

Aneley, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  8. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I like PhotoImpact for special effects. Have never used only one image editing program.

Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  9. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    I use Fireworks; Paintshop 6, 8 and 9 and Corel. Never could get the hang of Photoshop. I'm not real good with Fireworks; but I can do things with it that I can't with Paintshop.

My favorite though; for just fooling around is Bryce!

flawebworks, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  10. reli4nt

reli4nt Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop is the best when money is not an option.

Dreamweaver is the strongest by far.

Illustrator is great when yourre not dealing with bitmaps

reli4nt, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  11. ginostylz

ginostylz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love photoshop, however fireworks does load up a little quicker.
    The programs you can buy like microsoft picture it are ok too, they are really easy to learn and you are worried about the money. I spent the most time in school with adobe photoshop so it is my personal favorite.

ginostylz, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  12. carowan

carowan Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Illustrator 9.
    You can get Photoshop and Illustrator for approx $100 each if you can prove your a student, instead of paying full retail.

carowan, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  13. reli4nt

reli4nt Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats almost worth going back to school for. Almost...

reli4nt, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  14. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I won't even try anything else since I got hooked on Adobe Photoshop! It's awesome, I highly recommend using it! It may be a little hard to learn at first but once you get going it's incredible! I have used 7 and CS, both are great, however CS is a resource hog.

Colleen, Oct 7, 2004 IP
  15. marengo

marengo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is not graphics sogtware :p

I use Adobe Photoshop ; Adobe Illustrator

Nat

marengo, Oct 9, 2004 IP
  16. Fishing Forum

Best Answers:
    Well looks like Photoshop is a favourite Graphics software so I will have a look at it :p

Fishing Forum, Oct 9, 2004 IP
  17. ehman

ehman Guest

Best Answers:
    yes dreamweaver is definately not graphics software, i think what most people mean is fireworks.

ehman, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  18. reli4nt

reli4nt Peon

Best Answers:
    I think they do mean dreamweaver but not as a graphics editor. Most designers require a good graphics editor and and HTML editor so the two go hand in hand. Thanks for making the distinction though.

reli4nt, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  19. ehman

ehman Guest

Best Answers:
    yes after re-reading the thread i realize you are right ;)

ehman, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  20. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop kicks ass but it requires patience and dedication to do anything REALLY impressive (I learn more just about every day - and i really know nothing). It's probably the best tool I've used, but it's very expensive. If you are a student (or can fake it) I think Adobe offers a special package for them, or did at one time....

david_sakh, Oct 14, 2004 IP