1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has any one used GIMP as an alternative to photoshop

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by goldhome, Jun 30, 2011.

I have downloaded and installed GIMP, I just want to know how good is it comparing to photoshop. I know nothing could be compared to PS. But comparing it as an opensourceproject how good is it??

goldhome, Jun 30, 2011 IP
  2. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes if we compare then Photoshop is good but as a open source GIMP is good. It has most of the features as photoshop has.

karthimx, Jun 30, 2011 IP
  3. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Once youre good in photoshop, you will also be good in gimp. And what you can do with photoshop can also be done in Gimp.
    Been using gimp since 2008. And its the only i know how to use too.

etc, Jun 30, 2011 IP
  4. Swaqqboi

Swaqqboi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    GIMP is very similar to Photoshop, I wouldn't say that it is equal though, but it is very similar.

Swaqqboi, Jul 1, 2011 IP
  5. Captaim

Captaim Peon

Best Answers:
    GIMP is similar to photoshop but not as intuitive and significantly "weaker" in terms of ability. GIMP however is a good free tool to use, if not the best free image manipulation tool, but when compared with photoshop, it really pales in comparison. Not only in ability, but also in tutorials and resources, which are much more plentiful for photoshop.

Captaim, Jul 1, 2011 IP
  6. slimshady2602

slimshady2602 Member

Best Answers:
    GIMP can be considered as a replacement for Photoshop if you're really considering the 'open source' thing as a governing factor. Also, GIMP is smaller in size and takes up lesser memory and resources from your system. But when it comes to advanced professional photo manipulation, there is not match to Photoshop whatsoever !

slimshady2602, Jul 2, 2011 IP
  7. r4fay

r4fay Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't like GIMP'S UI. Photoshop feels more organized.

r4fay, Jul 3, 2011 IP
  8. theivo

theivo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what about native CMYK in GIMP ?

theivo, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  9. JohnFront

JohnFront Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Nah, I'm using only Photoshop. I've tried Gimp but I'm not feeling comfortable with it, so I quit. When I'm lazy to open up PS, I always use the classic Paintshop for simple work like cropping and resizing images.

JohnFront, Jul 6, 2011 IP
  10. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    If the world stopped turning and GIMP was all there was, I could learn to use it, and it would be able to do everything I need to do. It's a mature application, and it works. But it's nowhere near Photoshop. Especially if you're doing REAL business with the rest of the Photoshop-centric world.

If you've never used Photoshop, then try GIMP. Learn it. And if it does what you need it to do, then you've made a small win - at least financially.

I try and make the move to Linux/open source at least a few times every year. I keep trying GIMP, InkScape (which I actually like), etc... but I just can't do it.
    There is no way around it. Personally, I NEED Photoshop running natively in Windows. Running WINE (or whatever people are doing these days) defeats the purpose.

Kerosene, Jul 7, 2011 IP
  11. lowrider.STi

lowrider.STi Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think GIMP can compare with Photoshop...PS is known all over the world, and if you ask me, it's much easier to use.

lowrider.STi, Jul 7, 2011 IP
  12. noob10001

noob10001 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're used to photoshop don't use gimp but if you are starting fresh you need to decide from them both.

noob10001, Jul 14, 2011 IP
  13. javaoverride

javaoverride Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a big gimp fan I have it on both my windows laptop and on my Linux box it can do everything Photoshop can do and every aspect of it can be customised to work how you want it. I understand people loving Photoshop I did when I was in college but quickly adopted gimp after college at first it was for financial reasons but once I had it all mastered I didn’t see the point paying for Photoshop when I can do exactly the same thing in gimp for free.

I think at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice I think anyone should be happy with either.

javaoverride, Jul 20, 2011 IP
  14. echoutt

echoutt Member

Best Answers:
    although I use linux but I can not leave the photoshop. gimp can not replace the function of Photoshop :(

echoutt, Jul 20, 2011 IP
  15. mightiest

mightiest Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, maybe Photoshop easier or maybe better than GIMP, but if we talk about their price, we'll say otherwise. So if you have much money to buy Photoshop just use Photoshop but if you don't, I think GIMP is the way out. just information for the uninitiated, there is software called Gimphoto and GimPad. They're GIMP that has been modified in order to make as close as photoshop, interface and shortcut. Thanks for the programmer.

mightiest, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  16. Dr_Michael

Dr_Michael Member

Best Answers:
    Dr_Michael, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  17. javaoverride

javaoverride Peon

Best Answers:
    Great idea why didnt i recommend that

javaoverride, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  18. mightiest

mightiest Member

Best Answers:
    mightiest, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  19. Dr_Michael

Dr_Michael Member

Best Answers:
    I have more suggestions if you want, as I am in digital photography for more than 12 years :)
    For example, if you need software for editing picture but you are in internet cafe or in any pc which doesnt have photoshop or other, than you can try editing online with: www.pixlr.com (amazing online software, similar to photoshop). No need for installation.

Dr_Michael, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  20. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't read all the replies so this might have been said already..

but GIMP sucks compared to PS.
    It takes a lot longer to do things in GIMP, and I mean even simple things that take 2 seconds in PS take 2 minutes in GIMP..
    if you never used photoshop before then you might not feel the same way.. its just hard to switch to gimp i guess. 

cronik, Aug 5, 2011 IP