1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has Anyone Had Success Being a Reseller of Web Hosting?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by BradySEO, Mar 4, 2014.

I have a reseller account, mainly to offer free hosting for other areas of my business, but have been considering in possibly promoting it and trying to sell some hosting packages.

I know the competition is tough - has anyone here had any success?

BradySEO, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I am not sure if there's a universal trust to re-seller hosting companies. I tried using one in the past and was dismayed at how poorly things were running. Personally I will never try a re-seller hosting company again. We have plenty of big dogs out there that are still relatively cheap and big-time customer oriented. But one never knows, maybe in your case it may still work out.

qwikad.com, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  3. Brian Keps

Brian Keps Peon

Best Answers:
    You will definitely need to promote it. Like what qwikad.com said, competition is too tough.

Brian Keps, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  4. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    competition is tough for the commodity webhosting
    open up new niches, they are all wide open

i got multiple customers paying me 30$ a month for hosting 1 website ;)

open your mind.

competent123, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  5. bizacquire

bizacquire Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it's great to be hosting reseller,
    but you need to offering service there like create simple wordpress etc.
    I success there last year with hosting affiliate, but it's time consuming.
    I want to have passive income with my business

bizacquire, Mar 7, 2014 IP
  6. depat

depat Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i haven't sadly. I had my web hosting company for about a year and nothing. I spent money on advertising etc. im thinking of going back however as i got plenty of resources that i dont use at the moment. I have however flopped badly at promoting it and also did not thing about it much. Now i have a plan written out. This is a hard market and you will learn from it a lot if you decided to go for it. the competition is very tough and it requires a lots of really hard work and creativity to stand out

depat, Mar 30, 2014 IP
  7. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know one of my friend who start their reseller hosting business at terabyet.org and earn more than $200 a month. So, I think its depend on your offerings, How you can attract your visitors and last but not the least your hosting infrastructure should be great and provide excellent support and network uptime.

iwebsocial, Mar 30, 2014 IP
  8. Helge Sverre

Helge Sverre Prominent Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I've had minor success with reselling.
    You better know your shit when it comes to what you want to sell before you start though.
    I'd recommend just selling your hosting plans as a side thing if you are a web designer/developer.
    Going full "hosting company" with so much competition out there is pretty insane and probably wont work out if you ain't got the funding for it, SEO alone wont get you that far.

I did a chase study on some SEOClerks gig i used to promote my own web hosting site, you can read that on my site here:
    http://marketingguard.com/seo/case-study-effectiveness-of-90-bucks-worth-of-seoclerks-gigs/

And I also wrote an ebook about starting your own hosting site, which you can get in the marketplace here on DP.

Helge Sverre, Apr 2, 2014 IP
  9. Pawan Singh

Pawan Singh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, i agree with quikad. Competing with big dog like Hostgator (so cheap start at $0.01) with live support is really tough job. I had wasted approx one month in past just after reading an ebook about how to start re-seller hosting company?

The biggest problem is that re-seller client support was not good at least what i tried. Second , you always need to search for newbie to buy your hosting . Once any site get good rank or newbie they always like to move big hosting many in market at very cheap price.

But if you have web design business , it's good to keep it inn with professional looking design

Pawan Singh, Apr 2, 2014 IP
  10. charlesgan

charlesgan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i have 1 reseller account right now, and managing it require more effort that initially thought.
    Generally, if keeping the price low will bring in low quality user that cause more trouble than profit.

in my experience, i have the account for less than 3 months and later keep it for own use only

charlesgan, Apr 2, 2014 IP