1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Have Some question - before Starting my Magazine

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by cbhattarai, Nov 11, 2014.

Hello Guys,

I am planning to start-up with a magazine that will be having different categories like health, sports, politics, etc ....

There are more than 10 categories in my magazine. I am planning to have sub-domain for every categories. Do you having a subdomain is a more better idea than a subdirectory. what are the pros and cons of having a subdomain and a main domain?

I also wanted to add another question. I am a bit confused in executing it through a portal or using it through wordpress?

cbhattarai, Nov 11, 2014 IP
  2. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are different opinions on the topic of subdomains vs subfolders but in the general scenario I would go with subfolders. So instead of building it like sports.yourdomain.com to do it yourdomain.com/sports. There is one big "IF" here and in some cases the subdomains are a better option, mostly with large ecommerce sites, some ccTLD structures etc.

As for the question of portal/CMS or WordPress it really comes to personal preference. If you haven't used any of those before its best to go for something comprehensive and with a vast functionality like WordPress as the learning curve is really low. Still, if you are more familiar with something else like Joomla or Drupal, lets say, always opt for the more familiar grounds ;)

Rado_ch, Nov 11, 2014 IP
    Nigel Lew likes this.
  3. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Spot on as usual.

I tend to sum up the first issue as follows. Google views subdomains as a new and entirely separate domain. So, if you are in it for the long haul, its not a terrible idea to do so but it takes longer for the SEO to gain traction. Things tend to happen a bit more quickly in subfolders and its typically the logical thing to do.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Nov 11, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.