1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Header Design

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Technosites, Feb 20, 2007.

Hi,
    I'm having some trouble designing (in photoshop) a good header to go with my site, here you can see the site and what I have done:

technosites.co.uk/legal/2

The header looks, wrong somehow, doesn't stand out much and looks, a bit small?

Opinions and tips welcomed :)
    Many Thanks,
    Technosites

Technosites, Feb 20, 2007 IP
  2. dpjd

dpjd Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe try a different colour for the font used in the header to make it stand out more.

One thing I noticed was the site took a while to load so you may want to look at your image sizes and make sure they are not too big.

Also, in mozilla firefox your menu has overlapped itself, meaning one of the buttons has dropped down a bit. It looks fine in Internet Explorer, you should always check your site as you are building it in all the main browsers as there are usually some differences.

IE
    Mozilla Firefox
    Netscape

dpjd, Feb 20, 2007 IP
  3. Technosites

Technosites Peon

Best Answers:
    ah, thanks a lot :) I've made the header stroke brighter, reduced the size and quality of the background image, and downloaded firefox to have a look at :) I should have fixed the table cells sizes so it does drop onto the next line on firefox now. I think it was to do with table size inheritence that ie uses but firefox doesn't.

what do you think to it now? I think I'm going to use it insteed of the current one i have at technosites.co.uk/legal

Many Thanks, your comments have been very helpful. Anything else I can do to improve the header?

Cheers,
    Technosites

Technosites, Feb 20, 2007 IP
  4. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the outer glow around your text could be smaller. Also, you might want to try to change the font color of the text on your header to a darker shade.

8everything, Feb 20, 2007 IP
  5. designX

designX Banned

Best Answers:
    Try to change header background color and also try to change the color of outer glow to black instead of yellow same for text outer glow effect and decrease the size of glow a little bit ;)

designX, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  6. dpjd

dpjd Peon

Best Answers:
    menu lines up nicely in firefox now :)

dpjd, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  7. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, Technosites,

My comment on your header is in a completely different direction, but still no harm to share it:)

What I think would make it look a ton more professional is a different font. Fonts do matter and I guess than one looking more plain, simple, *modern*. The one you have now just seems a bit to be unsuitable.

I am afraid my explanation is very far from being clear, but anyway...Hope you got what I wanted to say.

To add, as a whole I don't find any fault in your header - looks enough good to me.:)

Have an enjoyable day today ;)

turbulence, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  8. Technosites

Technosites Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, I'm going to play around with it. - turbulence, I understand what you are saying about it being the wrong font, but I don't understand what type of font you are saying to go with - could you maybe suggest one, of explain what I should change it to?

Thanks to all, been very helpful - I've rep+ on all of you fyi :)
    Technosites

Edit:
    ok, ive changed the glow to black, made it smaller and changed the font to standard ariel. I can't decide if it looks worse or better though, what do you think. I'm going to keep playing with it some more.

Technosites, Feb 21, 2007 IP