1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help Me Decide - CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by grobar, Aug 3, 2007.

I'm looking for a free linux/php based cms that has good SEO plugins, good support, and is secure.

I'm down to the following 3:

Drupal
    Wordpress
    Joomla

What do you guys think? Are their other really good ones that I'm not considering?

grobar, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  2. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would go for Wordpress. :)

andrej, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  3. delhi_wala

delhi_wala Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla all the way.

delhi_wala, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  4. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    why joomla all the way?

grobar, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  5. delhi_wala

delhi_wala Peon

Best Answers:
    Look at their Extensions directory you will find every plugin you want. Support is great q.'s get answered.

delhi_wala, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  6. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

It all depends upon what you want to build on your site.

There are limitations and pros and cons to every platform - not to mention the costs of administration and modifications. I have found extensions to be problematic at times, since they are often buggy, not well supported, conflicting with other extensions, etc. Even the Joomla migration path from 1.0 to 1.5 (whenever that arrives), is problematic. Whenever I look at the cacophony of stuff going on each of these platforms, I just shake my head and wonder how to ever get these sites stabilized.

In any case, I would define the application, keep the platform as simple as possible, look for similar type of applications that were built on the platform, and then prototype the site to see if it works. One of the reasons Wordpress works so well as a blog platform is because it is simple, straightforward, and has a minimum amount of moving parts.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Rich

richrf, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  7. ichigo

ichigo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since you've mentioned seo plugins, I guess the best option would be wordpress. wp has an abundance of seo pluings :D

ichigo, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  8. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes, i saw the wordpress seo plugin, but joomla also has several.

grobar, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  9. mok123

mok123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Go for Joomla, easy to customise and almost all the extensions are easy to install. And a very active community.

mok123, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  10. Webray

Webray Active Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with many 3pd's components/mods etc. is that Joomla/Mambo make a lot of changes. These changes break 3pd products.

I've been active in development with Mambo and Joomla for 4 years and I'm tied of updating products I create, because Joomla/Mambo core devs. fall-short when it comes to planning ahead. Bottom-line... J/M core devs could care-less about 3pds and make changes that force 3pds to modify their products... over and over and over and over...

This may have something to do with reliability problems/broken plug-ins and the like.

PS no advice on the CMS of choice, but WP is not comparable to the others. That's like comparing Oranges and Apples...

Webray, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  11. kmb40

kmb40 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree but this problem comes along with a lot of Open Source model applications.

Gorbar,

I was looking for the same type of information but I had it down to Drupal and Joomla. I know what Worpress can do but I wanted something more robust.

I've heard good things about both but am leaning toward Drupal. I dont have any factual reason yet just a feeling that it will work for me.

I'll probably compare both sites help content, forum quality, request support and compare response times, look at the modules and do test installs and make a decision following that activity.

Maybe Ill just read through these instead results

kmb40, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  12. de5151

de5151 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is more user friendly and easier in my estimation. Joomla is much more powerful but comes with a bit of a learning curve.

de5151, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  13. sogastic

sogastic Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla is really good for people who don't know about programming much. But if you need to change something you have to change 4-6 files whats includes to the component. All components come with bunch of files and you really get confused when you want to change something.

Joomla has great support on their original forums. But the support what comes with component is bad. You have to pray and hope that someone looks your post and replies it.

Also joomla 1.0.x is built up on tables. I don't know much about v1.5.

Drupal is opposite to Joomla besides support. Drupal needs some learning though but if you learn it you can do lot of it. Also drupal modules are built in one files. So if you download ex. calendar module you only have to change that file. In joomla you changed that and that and that file.

Drupal community isn't so big, but there are more helpful people. Even people who release new modules give the best support.

Firstly I chosed Joomla but as soon as I saw what Drupal can do I went over to it.

sogastic, Aug 4, 2007 IP
  14. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if you are going make big and complex web sites, joomla is the best solution for you.

but ifyou want to make a smaller and simple web site, wp is good

trichnosis, Aug 4, 2007 IP
  15. John Kain

John Kain Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest using Joomla.

Joomla: This is a great system for putting something together quick and being ready to go. All the features are right there and easy to implement. The control panel is separated from the rest of the site and looks good. The problem with Joomla is that I find it to be very rigid sometimes. Templates are alot of work to put together but there are few templates available for free or paid which can be used. The Joomla community is quite active so if you are stuck you can seek help on the forums. The newer version of Joomla 1.5 RC is looking good so far and is much simpler than the older versions.

John Kain, Aug 4, 2007 IP
  16. daringtakers

daringtakers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will suggest Drupal. checkout my site in sig. link, its based on drupal.

daringtakers, Aug 4, 2007 IP
  17. ringwraith

ringwraith Peon

Best Answers:
    it would depend on what you're planing to do with that CMS.

IF it's something simple, like a blog with some additional capabilities, but mainly focused on content, you should choose Wordpress. It has lots of plugins and it's really really easy to modify the code.

If you're planning on building something more complicated, you'd have to choose between Drupal and Joomla. From the two, I've only used Joomla. Has quite a cool backbone and many many components and modules, but you might catch you years in its code if you are to modify things... And I'm not so sure how big sites work on Joomla, as many people tell they tend to crash sometimes ... Mine are too small to encounter this problem yet :p

can't tell nothing about drupal though

ringwraith, Aug 5, 2007 IP