1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

help me make money, it's about time ... SRSLY

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Vick_, Mar 6, 2011.

Hello All,

I have been coding websites for the last 7 years. I know my way around datababases, automation, CMS systems, Web Systems, etc.. I work mainly in PHP MySQL. I have knowings about how the web works, how to drive traffic, market, design etc to make sucessful sites.

despite all that, I don't own a single site online. I never generated money on anything I have done. Iv'e built numerous web systems for companies and earned a good portion of money for the creation of the system. But I never made my own money generating site.

It's time for me to start a site to generate some $$$. Where do I start? I found some databases for sale that contains information different things like plants, funny jokes, famous quotes etc. I have been thinking of buying a database and setup a simple site where people can navigate and search for plants, quotes or funny jokes. Whatever I decide to go with.

Is this a good idea? My plan is to later on turn this to a money maker with ads. What suggestions do you have for me? Please share.

Thanks

Vick

Vick_, Mar 6, 2011 IP
  2. Webm@st3r

Webm@st3r Member

Best Answers:
    wow Im on the same boat, except I probably don't know half the stuff you know :(

I guess you really need to take action and get your feet in the water with ideas.

Good luck!

Webm@st3r, Mar 6, 2011 IP
  3. markgmktg

markgmktg Peon

Best Answers:
    If you know how to do it then I'd suggest you develop an iphone app.

If you have good ideas this can be a serious money maker for you.

No jokes.

markgmktg, Mar 6, 2011 IP
  4. techntuts

techntuts Member

Best Answers:
    Hello i have a new 7 day website... Thats a niche site... I am bored of creating backlinks... So i would like to sell it... This search term LCD TV PRICES IN INDIA has over 20k searches per month... You just need to build back links and rank in google... i notice all the 115 posts i have return has not yet been indexed by google... but they are getting indexed slowly... i already see some 2 to 3 searches coming from google...

So you can make money if you can build good backlinks... All the posts i have written is SEO optimized using yoast seo WP plugin...

So if interested then you can PM me...

techntuts, Mar 7, 2011 IP
  5. Avesel

Avesel Peon

Best Answers:
    Be prepared to spend some money getting your website traffic if that is what you are trying to start. Don't underestimate the start up cost in this case.

Avesel, Mar 8, 2011 IP
  6. ChrisMono

ChrisMono Active Member

Best Answers:
    I envy being in your position! Having all that knowledge.. when you get an idea for a site you will be able to install it.. rather than pay thousands of dollars for it to be developed.

I know this is going to sound boring.. but you could always start with a blog.. baby steps..

ChrisMono, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  7. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Freelancing ?
    When owning a website 2 things besides coding are much important

1 Content (you shouldn't buy crap databases to have same content as same 10000 sites)
    2 SEO you don't know it ... it will be hard ...

w3bmaster, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  8. howtodoz

howtodoz Peon

Best Answers:
    Why dont you start a blog and start affiliate marketing. It would be good for you. But make sure you have good writing skills.

howtodoz, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  9. vchris

vchris Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm in the same boat. I have over 10 years experience coding in many languages. I've had a couple web design contracts over the years. Now I've set up my updated web design website so it's more business like. I want something that can run itself but I'm not sure what to do.

vchris, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  10. SSC

SSC Active Member

Best Answers:
    As per the qualifications you have listed, you are a knowledgeable person and you can save your money which you would otherwise be giving for web development and related stuff, i suggest you to start your own freelancer site and start offering your services, hire someone to take care of the website optimization part if you are new to it and you will start getting orders, just give it a try (investment is almost nil - all you gonna need is domain name + hosting + pay some freelancer to take care of website seo for you)

Hope this helps

SSC, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  11. Directory Vortex

Directory Vortex Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that buying some databases with articles and other content is good idea. Those databases are usually sold to tens if not hundreds of people son in the and all you get is duplicate content. And duplicate content won't get you far. It would be much better idea to use your knowledge to build a website, than invest your money in UNIQUE content. Starting a freelancer website as SSC suggested could be a good idea.

Directory Vortex, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  12. Vick_

Vick_ Peon

Best Answers:
    That's exactly what I do now, I do web programming for others :) I don't want to do that anymore, even though it's good money it's not automated. I want to make something that brings me money with as little amount of work possible.

Vick_, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  13. hitmanleaks

hitmanleaks Peon

Best Answers:
    Traffic, traffic, traffic. That's gonna be the key to any endeavor. So obviously you need to have the right content. As far as niches go: If you want success, don't try to be number one. Instead, strive to be the only one.

hitmanleaks, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  14. Directory Vortex

Directory Vortex Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you really think someone will tell you exactly what to do, give you a magic money making formula? I think you'll have to figure it out for yourself, but if you're persistent success should follow. They say that quitters never win, and winners never quit, I strongly believe in that one.

I'm kinda like you - I'm very good at many areas not just online and yet I can see people who have maybe not even a 10% percent of my knowledge, making some serious money and sometimes it gets really frustrating. I've been observing successful people in my off-line life and I've noticed one thing - they have completely different mindset, mindset that I'm trying to adapt myself to as well.
    They usually don't dive too deep in problems neither they try to solve it themselves, but instead they manage others to do stuff for them. So try to have things done for you instead of doing it yourself, but use your knowledge to control what is made and how it's made. Choose a topic that you are interested in and give it a go. Develop a content site if you like, or offer service related to that topic and outsource the work, see how it goes, adapt yourself to new thinking and who knows, maybe you'll be making money much sooner than you've expected. Just don't expect to make money by not investing anything, either it is your time, knowledge or money...to get something you need to give something, that's how it goes.

Directory Vortex, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  15. Vick_

Vick_ Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the answer, I totally agree and you make so much sense to me. Care to talk to me over chat? I have some more questions.. you are knowledgeable.. and maybe I can be useful to you.

Vick_, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  16. Equivocally

Equivocally Guest

Best Answers:
    Go and get a job for a company man. There's more than enough out there.

Equivocally, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  17. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You've got to decide if you're a pure breed capitalist like a investment banker or a day trader, or are you someone who just has a passion and can talk about baking cakes all friggin' day long and any money is just a plus.

Also got to understand what you're working with, if you're a dumbass you're going to find it much harder to make money in the first place regardless if it's online or offline.

Seqqa, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  18. samoney

samoney Peon

Best Answers:
    from my experience no one will really help u 100%. People can point u in the right direction but you have to still have your owe ideas. u have to try different things but only 1 thing at a time. My problem for the longest time was i tried to do too many different things and spent lots of money with no roi.

samoney, Mar 15, 2011 IP
  19. GoFiles

GoFiles Peon

Best Answers:
    a good way to making good money is software reselling, you know how to do websites so that side is fine for you. the problem is finding something current that will sell. have a look around the rebrandable software sellers for anything that can catch your eye. even a product that might cost you $10 could bring in thousands with the right advertising.

a good site i used to own was a family based keylogger for parents and i made around $1000 per month just for that one thing alone, i got bored and sold it which i regret to this day as its doing really well.

also selling something cheap does not mean that you will sell more, ive had products on sale for say $1 before and its hardly sold any. then i re-branded it slightly and put the price up to $10 and sold loads.

there are a couple of people on here who do such software which i myself am going to purchase.

once you get your software its all about the advertising and getting it out there, this is the hard part but if done right can do really well.

GoFiles, Mar 15, 2011 IP