1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help me pick a HD!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by fryman, Jan 3, 2005.

I am going to buy a new HD in a couple of hours. They cost the same. Don't know any specifics details, but both are 7,200 rpm, 40gb, one is a Seagate, the other a Maxtor. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

fryman, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  2. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    check their seek time ... 9.2ms seek time is worse (aka slower) than a 7.1ms seek time.
    Also check the buffer size. the bigger the better. I thin kaverage is about 2MB buffer, but I've seen them up to 16MB.

Such Great Heights, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  3. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I personally have had many issues trying to get maxtors to work as a second drive in computers. They can be a pain, but the last time I did this was about 2-3 years ago, so maybe they have changed some.

Such Great Heights is correct as far as seek times.

Why 40 GB when for $20 more you get double or triple the size?

debunked, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I don't want anything fancy, I already have a 40gb disk, and I will soon be selling this computer anyway.

I got the Maxtor, but damn thing isn't even formated.... now I have to go through all that fuss.

fryman, Jan 3, 2005 IP