1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help with Ideas on how to make this work

Discussion in 'General Business' started by *Sam*, Feb 29, 2012.

Hi all,

I thought if theres some possibility that I can make a business from this then this forum is one of the best places to be posting and asking for advice since many members run their own small business' and can speak from personal experience. Basically, I really want to start doing some product photography work and am going to study a photography degree in september after completing my A level. I already have some examples and have all the equipment/lighting to use so I literally have everything I need except the knowledge of what market to target.

For example, I've thought about offering photography for online business' but this would mean them sending me the products through the post and then me returning them. Not sure how viable this is but business' must get photos of their products done somewhere so is there any chance this could work for me? I'd also be offering touch-up work and editing to the shots so that's an added benefit to me shooting them unlike taking the image themselves.

Any help on how I can start in product photography would be really beneficial because I don't know what small business owners do about their photography and I thought someone on here might have some thoughts. I'm in the UK if this makes any difference at all.

Thanks,
    Sam

*Sam*, Feb 29, 2012 IP
  2. deansoto

deansoto Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is totally doable. I know a couple people who have been able to make this happen.

Essentially, they did it by volunteering to photograph various business and social media events. As they would, whenever they met someone who asked about their photography they would mention that they mainly photographed products for various businesses, and this gig was just to sharpen their skills.

As with any business, it's always who you know. My suggestion, start finding free or paid gigs that allow you to meet business owners, whether small, medium or large. Get their contact information and keep in touch with them. Eventually, they'll have a need that you can fill.

deansoto, Feb 29, 2012 IP
  3. louis d

louis d Member

Best Answers:
    Hello my friend, give me a PM I may be able to help you :)

louis d, Feb 29, 2012 IP
  4. jm07656

jm07656 Guest

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with deansoto. One of the best things you can do is try to offer your services for free and gain some credibility, which shouldn't be hard if you do quality work. Then, once you've gotten some exposure you can begin offering a fee for services. Also, once you do a good job with one business it is most likely that they will refer you to other business partners. You can also create a website describing your services, and sign up for freelance websites ,and apply for jobs there. The website is to give you a more proffesional look, buut don't try and focus too much on it at the beginning. A simple wordpress plugin should do it to start. Once you get more experience you can use your earnings and invest back into your business. Hope I can be of some help.

jm07656, Feb 29, 2012 IP
  5. *Sam*

*Sam* Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks both of you for the great advice and also louis I've PM'd you, it's much appreciated. I've already got a rough wordpress site started so that should give me at least something to work with in the beginning. It's a good idea to build up client relationships starting with free work too so will definitely have to start this way.

Something which I'm still unsure of is what kinds of business' to target. Do you think small online company's have a need for product photography or would sending products really put them off? I could also look at small shops in my village but don't think they have as much of a need for advertising photos of their products.

Again, any help at this stage is really great so thankyou,
    Sam

*Sam*, Feb 29, 2012 IP
  6. jm07656

jm07656 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey Sam, I would reccommend starting out with smaller businesses that provide services or products. See if they need any pictures taken. There are always companies that need pictures of something to put on their site or whatever it be. I would say you should see if you can get the product on your own. I know itll cost you money at first, but it will build good credibility with your partners.

jm07656, Feb 29, 2012 IP
  7. *Sam*

*Sam* Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not a bad idea to see if I can get the product without them having to send it. That may be a problem if they wanted a lot shooting or the product was expensive so obviously it's only while I'm getting started but it will definitely help build credibility with potential clients. After hearing the feedback from here and another forum then I think I'll give it a go and see what happens. I'm willing to work at it and genuinely would like to build up a small business of my own since I think I have the skills and am just worried about taking the first steps. Thanks jm07656, given me a lot to think about.

I will probably need to start getting in touch with small online companies/business' and make sure I have a web presence to show them with some examples and a small portfolio. Just hoping I get some interest and that they aren't too put off by having to send products. I suppose they must get images taken somewhere so it has to happen at some point.

*Sam*, Mar 1, 2012 IP