1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Homepage vs. Forum Index

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by -thoma-, Apr 28, 2009.

I was considering adding a homepage to my forums with several other pages, rather then have my URL lead straight to the forum index.

What's your opinion on having a homepage for a forum? Do you think it draws the attention of visitors away from the forum, or keep them interested?

Thanks.

-thoma-, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  2. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Homepage, as in a simple html file, or a content management system with lots of articles?

For my sons forum, I installed wordpress in the html root and then installed VBulletin in a /forum folder. I think it works out pretty well. The website uses one meta description, while the forum uses a different one. Instead of allowing comments in the wordpress post, a link is posted at the bottom of the article going to a thread in the forum. And then the forum is used as the commenting system.

But if you are going to to do something like that, you have to be dedicated enough to continue to post articles on the home page on a regular basis.

~kev~, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  3. anildewani

anildewani Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it will be good to have a Forum index, taking user friendly layout into consideration :)

anildewani, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  4. -thoma-

-thoma- Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought about something like this, posting news and announcements on the homepage that link to the forum. I like the idea of just having a standard HTML homepage, 2 sidebars, body, header, and footer.

-thoma-, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  5. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From a usability standpoint I like the idea as so many forums look very plain and don't explain well to new users what is going on. But most users visiting Forums already get it.

My biggest concern is the Forum gets dropped another level deep, so when your site gets crawled if you are not already popular it is less likely the deeper pages in your forum will be crawled and indexed.

I also use a version of "hanging" forums off of Joomla or Wordpress sites with a folder tab. But I don't worry about the Forum content being indexed so much as it is only a small part of the overall site.

internetmarketingiq, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  6. free3dart

free3dart Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah a homepage as you have planned will be a good idea.

free3dart, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  7. shazin

shazin Guest

Best Answers:
    Depends what you want to achieve. Probably a landing page that serves as some kind of advertisement or a summary about what the forum behind is all about, is a good idea. The other approach mentioned here - using a blogging software, would require frequent updating, otherwise people would get bored seeing the same article every time they want to enter the forum...

shazin, Apr 29, 2009 IP