1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Homesickness!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by davedx, Apr 9, 2005.

So I've been in Australia for almost a year now. Second time I've been here, first was more of a "test the water" trip, then I got a spouse visa with my partner and came on over, supposedly for good... now things aren't looking so good, and I'm really starting to miss home.

It's funny what you miss though. I miss my family obviously, but I also miss things like... LONDON. Never thought I'd say it, I wasn't much of a fan when I lived there for a year, wasn't impressed with my snot turning black...! But these days I think about the big city more and more, and start to miss the bustle and the history.

Not even my hometown, but there ya go. I miss the smog, the brownish haze over the Thames, the Tower, the city, the tube, Hyde Park... argh!

Anyone else in foreign lands and missing their roots?

davedx, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  2. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup. Totally know where you're coming from. I miss London, ALOT. Everything you just said about it made me :( London is so atmospheric ah, I just love it. I don't even really overally like England as a country. TBH I think it's going down the shitter..But regardless, it is still home and I miss everything about it even silly things like Sainsburys, or a decent cup of English tea.

Saying all this though, I am only in Holland which is much closer to home than Australia is.

MELLA, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  3. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't worry guys... Congestion charge, parking tickets, bus drivers, black rain, over priced public transport, pollution, crime, sweaty tube rides.. its still all there. I think you always miss it when you are away.. but I'm not away at the moment!

Design Agent, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  4. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    Mella - yeah, atmosphere is right... and tea! I still drink it by the gallon over here, even when it's 30 degrees plus! :D

Rounde - LOL! Ah, the memories.

davedx, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  5. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    So do I (although it's not 30 degrees here - Unfortunatly! :D )
    The Dutch drink tea without milk. WTF lol...I have to bring English tea bags over with me, as the Dutch one's are so weak. They call Tea with Milk 'Kinder thee' (children's tea) Lol nutta's...

Lol Ah Rounde, what I wouldn't give to be pestered for money buy a drunken yobbo in a grotty tube station in central London right now... It's wierd the things you end up missing and take for granted when you have them everyday...

MELLA, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  6. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    I can imagine it was you pestering them..;)

7. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    Shit how did you guess :eek: :D

Ah what the heck, I made a mint. Dressing my dog up in rags and sunglasses really was the finishing touch.

Thank you rich business men of London.

MELLA, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  8. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    A whole mint or a mint with a hole ?

9. Pink Chair

Pink Chair Peon

Best Answers:
    I moved from Europe to US, been living here for 10 years. Never missed my hometown for a second. By the way, my home town is much more beautiful and has much, much ,much more history but that is not what is important in my life.

Pink Chair, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    It is hard to make money out in the boondocks, so many times you need the "big city" to make money.

The Internet is changing that for some of us where we are able to make money out in the far out reaches.

I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio USA area, the thing I miss are watching sports, Cleveland Browns versus the Steelers in the old days were the best, plus we have Major League Baseball and NBA Basketball. :(

But other than those things I don't miss the "Big City" and the steel mills, but Cleveland is not London at the same time, but Led Zeppelin did visit many times :) I seen em live in 1977 two nights in a row and I do miss that also, you can see big acts in the big cities, we used to have the "World Series of Rock" at the old "Cleveland Stadium" in the old days every summer where Pick Floyd, Aerosmith and others used to join in and have smash concerts. :eek:

That is what is fun about living in the "Big City" :eek:

anthonycea, Apr 10, 2005 IP