1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Barter/Trade/Parlay Can Be A Bigger Payoff Than Money

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Greg B, Sep 5, 2013.

Yes, you heard me right.

Barter, parlay, trade can get you more ahead than money. Why? Because if you have a skill, a rare one or you have items that are rare you can call your own shots if people or businesses have to have your expertise or more.

Think of it this way. You need a new kick butt computer. You find out a client owns his own discount computer warehouse. Instead of charging him for the next job say to him or her, "I'll swap you 1,000 hours of consulting", or "I'll make you three new graphics packages in exchange for one of those computers!".

Now hold on there, Greg B must be losing his marbles but look at the facts. The computer you want is way out of price range BUT if you had it you could quadruple production. Normally your client would take 10 months to pay you enough to buy it. Now you get the computer AND he gets rid of excess inventory AND he gets to write it off on his taxes. Win-win situation!

Same with consultation or insurance. You need that biz advice but it costs too much. You would like to get better health insurance but can't afford it. Talk to your client, see what they can do for you. Both of you can clean up and write off the excess.

So think about barter/parlay/trade, it might be far less expensive than you think.

Greg B, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  2. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is a very good post & I've done this before in the past with one client. It worked out good for the both of us. You never know what the other person might say until you ask them. I would not mind at all writing in exchange for new gadgets or other things. There should be a trade website for writers. I will write x amount for this - and a client might come along and give that writer what they want to have in exchange for work or other services.

DreamingBig, Sep 7, 2013 IP
  3. Greg B

Greg B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now you're seeing what I'm talking about. A new writer in this biz needs basic equipment. A computer of some sort, a smartphone, microphones, headphones, and health insurance. It doesn't cost a lot and it will get you on your feet. That's why I always ask clients if they have discounts with computer companies and insurance companies. A few trades and you're good to go. I thought there was a trade section here on DP.

Greg B, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  4. ajapub

ajapub Member

Best Answers:
    Barter/trade was the way things were done for a very long time in human history, and even today it's still done in many ways. Just like any system of economy there are pros and cons to it.

If you can establish relationships with others who are able to barter/trade reliably, it would be worth it.

ajapub, Sep 12, 2013 IP