1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can I become hired as a SEO analyst?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by MeloMelo66, Oct 22, 2010.

A year ago I decided to go into SEO as I was unemployed and was developing an interest in working in a web related role. I have advanced degrees in business but they are from outside the US so it seems as they don't really count to employers. I have really been pushing myself hard, learning to develop sites (ok so they are static , HTML, CSS and some JavaScript, for the time being, but I am aiming to learn to build more dynamic ones by next year) and doing a certificate in web development, in addition to reading like crazy about SEO and practicing on my site. However, I hardly ever get asked to an interview, and if I do (I apply for entry level positions, part time ones etc) it seems that I am not technical enough or not experienced enough, for an entry level job! I am even volunteering. What do I have to study more of or learn to do in order to be taken seriously?

MeloMelo66, Oct 22, 2010 IP
  2. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Personally, I think you are shooting in the wrong direction aiming for SEO work. Why not create your own websites in the areas in which you have your advanced degrees?

mcfox, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  3. twelveoclock

twelveoclock Peon

Best Answers:
    If you really want to get into SEO then you could target an SEO related keyphrase. Something like My Town SEO. Make sure people search on the term first of all. There will probably be some competition, there are a lot of SEO out there, and if there are no SEO in your town, there may be no work. So do your research. You could then reference this work in job applications, or do contract work.

twelveoclock, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  4. MeloMelo66

MeloMelo66 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would really like to know because it would give some indication as to why no one seems that interested...and help me do something about that.

MeloMelo66, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  5. MeloMelo66

MeloMelo66 Peon

Best Answers:
    My question was for mcfox actually:

Mcfox, Why do you think I am shooting in the wrong direction?
    I would really like to know because it would give some indication as to why no one seems that interested...and help me do something about that.

6. alpalino

alpalino Peon

Best Answers:
    Just create a portfolio, for instance the sites you managed and helped to improve search engine rankings. People always like to see proofs before hiring anyone, so build that trust between you and your potential clients first.

Also, it doesn't matter how many people doing it and how much competition you have, as long as you have the passion and the will to do it, you can be successful. Just don't give up and keep trying.

Good Luck

alpalino, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  7. MeloMelo66

MeloMelo66 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks alpalino,

I will begin working on a portfolio. I'm amazed that I didn't think about it before, I think I was too much in the middle of it to see what was so obvious.

Thanks for the motivating words, I won't give up!

8. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Well, you have advanced degrees but are ignoring these strengths to chase after something you really aren't qualified in. Seems like a waste of time, imo, as seo work is driven by results. If you haven't got anything to demonstrate how capable you can be in that field no-one is going to hire you. Throw in the advanced degree thing and they would probably be of the opinion that hiring is a waste of their time as you would just jump ship and leave the minute something better suited to your considerable training came along - I mean, would you, having studied to the level you have, consider hiring someone as overqualified as you for the position?

mcfox, Oct 23, 2010 IP