1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How did you learn how to become a great designer?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by snapplekid13, Jul 19, 2007.

How did you all learn how to design so well? I am actually trying to learn right now using various tutorials and such and seeing how that goes...

So how did you learn the tricks of the trade?

snapplekid13, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  2. Hecky

Hecky Like a Dungeon Dragon!

Best Answers:
    I don't think that I can call myself a master yet, but I recently started to use the grid tool for drawing, and it makes everything much neater.

Hecky, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  3. snapplekid13

snapplekid13 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey I didn't say MASTER designer I said a GREAT designer ;)

snapplekid13, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  4. Xabber

Xabber Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not that great, everything I learned is from e-books, tutorials and error and trial. Just try to mess with the program you want to use, you'll become better each time you use it ~

Xabber, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  5. pedagangaff

pedagangaff Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm..I learn from my friends and from free tutorial on the net.

Azim

pedagangaff, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  6. Solid_Nuts

Solid_Nuts Active Member

Best Answers:
    well for me it started off as a hobby doing skinning from 1999.. i got pretty popular on one of the best known skin sites i'm still ranked in the top 100 and have over 460000 downloads... i got board of all that and just 3 months ago happen to stumble on DP :)

i can see i have improved a lot in regarding style/layout for websites in these 3months already.... i have a few decent paying projects on hand.. so far all going good. all i can advise is to keep on designing... practice makes perfect.

Solid_Nuts, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  7. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it's not something you learn over night. over time you start to realize what looks good and what doesnt. what may look good to you now, really isn't good at all. wait 10 years and then look back at what you are doing now and compare it with what you will be doing then. some of my old stuff back from like 1996-1997 is pretty wack in my opinion. just like walking or riding a bike, it takes years to gain skill in a particular area. keep doing what you're doing and practice practice practice. do it because you enjoy it, not because you want to make a buck. in time, the money will come. but for now, concentrate on defining your skill and technique. trust me.

ansi, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  8. Freelance GD

Freelance GD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I learned it by myself but I am perfect. Its "practice that makes a man perfect".
    Here is a question, why not woman? lol just kidding.

Freelance GD, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  9. BJohnson

BJohnson Peon

Best Answers:
    Learning does take time that is for sure, I have dozens of books around my office that I have read. Most about design some about net marketing and what not.

If I was just getting started I would choose a cms system and would focus on learning the system inside and out. This way you will be able to produce nice looking sites that are interactive (comments, feeds, comminity type stuff).

About 95% of the sites I create now are based on wordpress. Good luck.

BJohnson, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  10. Freelance GD

Freelance GD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One more suggestion, don't every try to use template. Do whatever you can design and see this will nourish your skills.

Freelance GD, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  11. codem

codem Peon

Best Answers:
    i think i was born a designer lol
    i dont recall ever reading anything or attending lessons, i just experimented and it seems to work so far

codem, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  12. Hecky

Best Answers:
    Ah, I wonder what made me say Master? I swear I saw it somewhere....wierd

Hecky, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  13. reezluv

reezluv Active Member

Best Answers:
    for now i'm now that GREAT..but maybe one day..lol..

for me, just concentrate on what you are doing.Practice make perfect.Try to do one or more design in one day..and try to estimate it by yourself first..also try to be humble..lol..try to accept killer comment from other GREAT designers..that's all..From that you will learned it..

also don't miss the tutorials on the net..that's really good for your design purpose:D

reezluv, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  14. dshihab

dshihab Peon

Best Answers:
    my number one source is tutorials posted online. i learned everything i know about design and photoshop because of tutorials. then, as everyone said.. practice is what makes someone great at what they do :)

dshihab, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  15. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Practice, practice, practice. Always try to improve your design style ;) go through as many tutorials as you can. Atleast that's how I do it ;)

8everything, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  16. Piggy

Piggy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I learned by screwing around with PS, and good-tutorials.com

Piggy, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  17. Drudoran

Drudoran Peon

Best Answers:
    I went to college and studied art & design, then graphic design, then got a job in an agency and realised the real world is completely different to college, then worked for myself and realised working for yourself is completely different to working in an agency... and so on.

At the end of the day it's all about experience. Get some design jobs, get some feedback, learn from mistakes, learn to appreciate other designer's approaches and don't criticize their work until you know what their brief was.

You can stick to your guns with design and tell the customer that you are right and that they are wrong, but sometimes, in the real world, you have to make 'some' compromises with your clients. Granted, if a client tries to change one of my designs, I'll compromise if I think the design may still work, but if I feel they are ruining the job then I'll refuse to work with them as it can be bad for your reputation.

Don't just learn software cos the software will lead your design process - you'll end up designing things because pressing F7 makes a nice effect. Read up on design principles and theory and look at everyday things around you for influences - not just other people's web graphics.

You've just gotta be a sponge and absorb everything you see.

Also - never ever go to sleep!!! - I have been awake now for several years because that's what designers do.

Drudoran, Jul 23, 2007 IP
    8everything likes this.
  18. mikka23

mikka23 Peon

Best Answers:
    I learned from tutorials and posting my work on forums for critique. I wrote an article about it on my blog which may be of interest.

mikka23, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  19. Hecky

Best Answers:

I do believe This :

[​IMG]

is a template?

Hecky, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  20. kkthxbye

kkthxbye Peon

Best Answers:
    Practice practice! I started when I was 13, using the old photoshop 5 back then, I am still no great designer although, make sure you think about everything before you get it down.

kkthxbye, Jul 23, 2007 IP