1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I create a geographical map for my website?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Porto7, Jul 22, 2007.

Hi, I'm trying to build my first website and need to create a geographical map (from an outline in pdf format) similar to maps on the wannasurf.com website (sorry I cannot post any links, as I'm a new member)
    I am not sure what software (photoshop??) I should use to do this and wondering if anyone can suggest the best approach? and point me to a tutorial maybe. I would appreciate any help as I have been really struggling to find a way to do this.

Thanks.

Porto7, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  2. Piggy

Piggy Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you mean how do you make the actual map, just outline an actual map, and fill different colors, but giving each country a different link, I'm not sure about, I've never needed to do that. Sorry.

Piggy, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  3. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the linking different countries is just using an image map with regions set on the original image. or you could slice it which would be the preffered method but a lot of 'old timers' still use the image map technique. as for the maps, grab a vector from any stock photography site and use it.

ansi, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  4. webrickco

webrickco Active Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe you want to use google maps API to perform this operation. It is very simple, and requires some lines of javascript to show just any kind of geographical location knowing only coordinates.

webrickco, May 7, 2010 IP
  5. rono

rono Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    To create an image from a PDF, Photoshop is probably one of the best methods: Open the PDF and PS will ask you to rasterize it. You can then decide the size and resolution of the resulting bitmap.

Hope that helped.

but to create an interactive map, the google api is best like webrickco said.

rono, May 13, 2010 IP