1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I go about promoting a new social network?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by marcvb, Apr 19, 2009.

Hi everyone :)

I'm currently promoting a new social network I just launched and need some advice! I don't have a high budget yet so I'm doing my best with the little I have. I'm promoting it on facebook but I'm sure there's so much more I can do.

I read similar posts related to this but I haven't really found what I'm looking for. I believe I need something viral but am struggling to think of anything related to the social network I launched.

Thanks for your help!
    Marc

marcvb, Apr 19, 2009 IP
  2. SEOTherapy

SEOTherapy Banned

Best Answers:
    I think you might want to use press release to promote your social network sites.

This can be a great way for you to appear professional and legit to your target audience. You will also build your reputation as the expert in your niche.

SEOTherapy, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  3. Plight

Plight Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, and start local, small things grow! Get friends and colleagues in on it. Facebook started out at the Hardvard campus and expanded from there.

Plight, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  4. marcvb

marcvb Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, so I have...
    - Press Releases
    - Start Locally

Do you guys think directory submissions still work?
    What about article submissions?

Thanks,
    Marc

marcvb, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  5. narci

narci Peon

Best Answers:
    Both article and directory submissions still works for me.
    Btw, can we see the url of the site?

narci, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  6. Alex Brooks

Alex Brooks Banned

Best Answers:
    Just start off very small, then build up slowly. Although you have some major websites you will have to compete with, such as Facebook, Myspace, Bebo and what not. I'd suggest you target a certain type of person, for example people interested in extreame sports, then go onto YouTube and comment extream sport videos like "Join my BMXing social networking [link]" etc.

But good luck to you :)

Alex Brooks, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  7. marcvb

marcvb Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks :) Yes, in fact I'm trying to keep back from doing certain things because I want to start small, but it seems really hard to get new members unless there's already something already happening on the website.

Also, the site is not a specific niche, it's for bloggers so it's quite a hard one to get into! I believe I have quite a good concept, quite similar to some other websites but the web advertising side of things is quite new I believe.

I'm currently advertising on Facebook Ads, locally. I'm getting a few clicks but very few members - Google Adwords might be better!

@narci: the site is www.seekopia.com :)

Thanks,
    Marc

marcvb, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  8. edgray

edgray Peon

Best Answers:
    Really interesting look site marcvb, I really like the concept.

Definitely send out a press release, put it in the hands of the right bloggers and it could spread like wildfire through the blogosphere.

Make a Facebook fan page or group and promote it through there. If you can, make a Facebook app that connects to content on your site.

With new ideas like this the best way is through word-of-mouth referrals. Give your members the option to invite their friends or add a promotional box onto their blogs.

good luck with it, I love the site though I have just signed up and still waiting for the confirmationa email...

edgray, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  9. marcvb

marcvb Peon

Best Answers:
    Cheers for your advice!

I think I'll start with a press release - I will seek more advice on how I can write the perfect press release :)

I am also going to start a referral program to entice people to join - Maybe I can add one of those modules that allows you to email all your gmail, msn, skype contacts etc.

I am PMing you to make sure you get the confirmation email :)

Thanks again,

If anyone has more advice, please feel free to say it, I do appreciate everybody's feedback!

Marc

marcvb, Apr 21, 2009 IP