1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I start as a freelance web designer?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by legolug90, Feb 9, 2011.

Hello! I feel prepared to create simple and good looking websites but I've never created a website for someone else and I don't have a portofolio site.
    Well at this point I heard there are only two things to do:
    1)creating some websites for free in order to build my portofolio
    2)low bidding on different projects on freelance sites like freelancer.com or odesk.com...again, just to build my portofolio.

I will definitely create a very good looking "presentation website" containing information about me and my services.
    Now my question is... are their any chances that I'll be hired for a low amount of money considering I only have that website as my "recent work"?

Also, would I be able to make a decent amount of money out of web design when I get more experienced? I hope I'll make around $1000/month in a couple of months...

legolug90, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  2. indianartist

indianartist Peon

Best Answers:
    Make some web templates and upload it in your presentation website. There is a chance to get clients online.

indianartist, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  3. tomelliott

tomelliott Peon

Best Answers:
    Although I work as a full time web developer, I would suggest the following:
    1) A great portfolio is essential... doing websites for free or cheap would help build up your portfolio. Failing that, you could just design some screenshots of a website
    2) Create your own website to advertise yourself, your portfolio and work on your SEO around your website
    3) Word of mouth and social media - just tell your friends, twitter followers, facebook friends etc

A better portfolio would help you get more money for the work.

tomelliott, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  4. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    first thing would be having a portfolio website.
    market that website to get new clients.
    it will take some time before people start finding you.

webcosmo, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  5. chanif.alfath

chanif.alfath Active Member

Best Answers:
    firstly - portfolio website.
    then you can start "sell" your site to forum etc,
    do a cheap stuff first,
    if they knew your capability,
    they will back again to you :)

chanif.alfath, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  6. carol.prime

carol.prime Active Member

Best Answers:
    Portfolio is a must. :) You need to do this first so you can attract clients.

carol.prime, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  7. CSM

CSM Active Member

Best Answers:
    How can he do a portfolio if he never did any sites for someone else?

I would start like this:

- build some free templates (high quality, valid XHTML, nice graphics,...)
    - offer them as free download in forums like DP and similar
    - build some free WordPress templates (or other CMS)
    - start to build premium templates and sell them (e.g. at themeforest, ...)
    - start advertising your services
    - build a portfolio of your free and premium sites

That's how I would do it.

CSM, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  8. AtSeaDesign

AtSeaDesign Active Member

Best Answers:
    AtSeaDesign, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  9. xpirtdesign

xpirtdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    What I did was do some cheap/free websites for people and businesses. Build your own website advertising your services. At this point you should spend much of your time learning and practicing SEO for your website. Once you have a solid portfolio and a good web design, you will start getting calls and emails via your website. Make sure your SEO is good. This is a good way to get clients online. For your local area or word of mouth, you can put out ads in the newspaper or yellowbook, also spread the word out to everyone you know, pass out business cards, etc.

xpirtdesign, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  10. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You should need to promote yourself as individual marketer to gain potential from market by developing a portfolio website in new way that can help you to have bunch of projects

jezzz, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  11. super

super Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you'll go offering free stuff to build your portfolio hit me up, I need a design for my site right now :)
    cheers

super, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  12. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I advice you stay on 1 max 2 freelance sites and before thinking of building site / portofollio etc get some clients earn some money from this ..

w3bmaster, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  13. edison8301

edison8301 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you can do both of them, creating some website for free as well as bidding in low prices. However, in case you want to create some free website, try to give it to non-profit organization or something like non-government organizations. It does can improve your personal branding also the free client will tend to glad to use your service. Hope this advice help you.

edison8301, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  14. Leicester_Laura

Leicester_Laura Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey. I could do with some help making a more professional website, and in return can advertise your services through my site. If you are interested please send me a pm.

Leicester_Laura, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  15. neilchristine

neilchristine Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    first of all my dear frnds. i want to say that u must have too much of confidence that you can do it.
    after that you may search on internet,, different compnies provied freelancing services..
    I am also working as a freelancing job. The company is about Discount Hotel Deals in Orlando.

neilchristine, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  16. Dav Fernado

Dav Fernado Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been hiring may freelancers to do webdesign over the years, all I can tell you is that its one thing to know how to design something for yourself, but it's completely a different ball game when it comes to pleasing customers. A portfolio alone is not the only thing you need, of course this would be the first thing customers would ask for, but its not a simple matter, each person has his own taste and ideas and learning how to read their minds, so to speak, is the name of the game. I would advise you to test your abilities in that respect by providing some free design work to some requests here on dp or try fiverr just to test the waters. Best of luck!

Dav Fernado, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  17. ameerulislam10

ameerulislam10 Peon

Best Answers:
    All the suggestions given above are good but in the mean time you can do some small graphical works like creating logos etc. I think it will take you lesser time to get started with some making money. :)

You can participate in some competition works in sites like 99designs.com or in Digital point it self (in contest section). In this way you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You will build your portfolio and you creating some chances to make some money along the way.:cool:

ameerulislam10, Feb 14, 2011 IP