1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you build up your content?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by tangsem, Jan 9, 2006.

"Content is the king!", however, how do you build up your content is my question. I used to build up content manually, adding articles to my site one by one. However, I found it's quite hard to build up a large amount of content. Now there's about more than 10 articles on my site. How could I make it to something like 1,000 articles? I think if I continue to build it manually, it would take too much time and effort. How would you make it? Thanks!

By the way, what's your goal for your adsense "business"? Are you aiming to make it your primary business? If I'm aiming to let it make me 10K per month, how could I reach this goal?? Thanks!

tangsem, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  2. sebastianrs

sebastianrs Active Member

Best Answers:
    there are some threads especially the adsense secret thread that tells you a lot about the techniques to gain a high income through adsense. now to your first question: You have several different ways of how to get more contents, and certainly faster: Hire someone to write articles, you can for example outsource your article writing tasks, though i'd recommend not to necessarily outsource to india... second way is to syndicate contents, third way is to get articles from article directories and publish them on yours, however you should never put the article and ONLY the article on one page... attach some other contens, your comment, or whatever else.

sebastianrs, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  3. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Whilst Content is King - Don't forget that *original* content is ruler of the Universe. Its all very well getting lots of cookie cutter articles and that, but your site can suffer with Google if its duplicate content, which often it is when you buy them in bulk.

Now, building up *original* content can be easier than you first think - forums, asking users to submit content, comments etc - its easy to do.

Dio, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  4. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to just pull content from an article site into a template, then something like CodeAvalanche's FastContent tool or ArticleDepot.co.uk's stream would be best for you.

Although a site full of everyone else's content is going to require some tricks to set it apart from the other's in the search engines.

blackbug, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  5. ahearn

ahearn Peon

Best Answers:
    Your articles don't have to be long articles. Each article should be just long enough to provide useful content while focusing on a single keyphrase. I'll bet that a few of your current articles could be broken up into two or more separate articles. Furthermore, if your articles are short and leave your visitors a little hungry for more information, they'll click on Adsense ads on the page. Some of my most productive articles are no more than three or four short paragraphs and don't attempt to say everything that could be said about the topic.

ahearn, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  6. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    Think long term. Original content takes time. But once you do have a lot of original content, you can also look at other ways of monetizing it: turning it into an e-book, an online course, etc. This is usually referred to as "repurposing" your content. It's another reason to use original content: if it's not original, you don't usually have the rights to do any repurposing. I could probably turn my blog into an e-book, for example, and maybe I should. Question is, could I stand having you guys jump all over me saying that there's nothing in my book that you can't find here in the DP forum? Look at all the grief that poor Joel has gone through :D

Eric Giguere, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  7. dadasays

dadasays Peon

Best Answers:
    Writing 1000 articles is really not that hard if you are a good writer and your topic is not too niche. My average article takes about 1 hour of research and 10 minutes of writing (but the research covers additional future articles as well that I partially write). 1000 articles = 500 hours or so of my work for very good content and OpEd. 500 hours @ 5 hours per day = 3 months.

You can also pay for custom articles to be written (I've received many requests for it and have considered doing it for a flat fee). This depends on what your budget is.

There are only two ways to make money consistently forever: invest in a business of someone who wants to work hard, or work hard. There is no quick way. If $10,000/month was easy, we'd all be making $10,000 per month and prices would skyrocket so it would not be any different than making $500 per month now.

AdSense is not the only way to make income with your websites. Considering selling some information, too, if it is proprietary information that people will pay for.

dadasays, Jan 9, 2006 IP
    jazzylee77 likes this.
  8. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem, of course, is finding 5 hours per day to do the writing! I think most site owners who are doing this on a part time basis are lucky to find 1 or 2 hours a day, and they have to use some of that time to do maintenance tasks.

So expect it to take even longer than that. Many of the people who are making a LOT of money with AdSense now have actually been around a long time and have a large backcatalog of content that was monetizable. You can be in the same boat, but not right away -- think at least a year, probably two or three. I know, that seems like forever in Internet time, but I don't see AdSense going anywhere. Certainly, there will always be some way to monetize content.

Eric

Eric Giguere, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  9. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have memberships to a few different private label sites, as well as hiring a few writers to write articels for me. It's definitely the way to go. At a certain point, you need to realize the outsourcing is your friend. :)

Outsourcing parts of each site, like content development, link building, site design, etc.. helps free up my time for more project management type tasks and development of new ideas/sites. If you think of each part of a site in it's currency value, like (Example: $10 hr. for reciprocal link building, $12 hr. for content development, $50 hr. PPC management), then you choose which ones pay YOU the most and outsource the rest. ;)

Voasi, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  10. webbom

webbom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the best solution is to outsource some work. There is always a point where you just can do more by yourself even if you want to. There is just not enough time.

webbom, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  11. ConstantContent

ConstantContent Banned

Best Answers:
    Sometimes you have to figure out what your time is worth... if it takes you 2 hours to write an article and your time is worth $100 an hour. It's better to outsource...

I personally outsource everything these days, design, writing, web dev, etc. I personally feel my time is more valuable these days and I'm willing to pay someone for there time.

Not to mention I'm a bad developer, shoty designer, and horrible writer these days :)

ConstantContent, Jan 11, 2006 IP