1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Does One Promote A Social Networking Site?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by adcentsexperiment, Dec 4, 2007.

Sivatar

http://www.sivatar.com

I put $100 for 7 days over at "I am bored". It's too early to give my final thoughts but so far not too good. I thought targeting the bored folks might help, but then again - they're probably too lazy to join :)

Should I put money into this? Maybe avoid money and try something else?

Thanks.

adcentsexperiment, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  2. anantk

anantk Active Member

Best Answers:
    try a banner or link exchange program...
    you don't have to spend a penny

anantk, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  3. joshhrob

joshhrob Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nobody wants to hear this, but the best way to promote a social networking site is to spam myspace. It's terrible, and if you do it than you are not cool, but sadly it works.

I have a social networking site and I spent $30/day for a month advertising on Adwords, and my partner spend 3-6 hours a day sending friend requests, comments and bullitons thru multiple myspace accounts, and believe it or not his method generated about 30% more signups.

Eventually he tired out, and now we get enough natural SERPs that the website just runs it self, but if you're desperate enough to soil your reputation...

joshhrob, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  4. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's a good question. Other social media would probably be the best method. You should promote what is different than the rest. Social media would be good at promoting something new and original.

You can add it to my list of 400 social media sites, but I believe you are already listed.

CanadianEh, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  5. joshhrob

joshhrob Active Member

Best Answers:
    I should also mention, mashable.com. They are the official social networking site blog. I sent them my press release and got a huge boost instantly. They don't publish everything, but they published mine so I know at least it's possible.

joshhrob, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  6. adcentsexperiment

adcentsexperiment Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of good feedback here guys. Thank you. Keep em coming if you have more.

7. mrobert

mrobert Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Would you be interested in a link exchange with my social networking site?
    Please see my site here:

mobileground.info

mrobert, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  8. adcentsexperiment

adcentsexperiment Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, anyone who links or reviews gets their Sivatars on the Supporters page.

Thanks for your interest.

9. glassman

glassman Peon

Best Answers:
    The best way is to have an affiliate program and get JVs onboard. If you can't do that, try the various other methods. For bored people, spamming myspace and youtube might work if you can do it and feel ethical.

How about having a video contest that asks people to do crazy things to prove how really bored they are?

You might get some activity there.

glassman, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  10. styntru2u

styntru2u Peon

Best Answers:
    You can try finding message boards and blogs abotu social networking or boards about celebrity gossip and stuff and become active on them. Join any message board or check out blogs that you think 16-25 year olds would be active. Youtube is probably the best way to promote your social network with programs like tubeautomator.

styntru2u, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  11. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Back in the day before myspace was popular I got like 5 spam emails in my yahoo account telling me i should check out the bands...but that could have just been a band spamming me and not myspace. I wish I still had them, but that was before they raised the memory we could store.....Try email marketing (not spam) haha same thing in my book...

superrichguy, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  12. FindASocialNetwork

FindASocialNetwork Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

We've just started a search engine that helps users find and promote social networks, blogs, video sites and other web 2.0 media. People will search via keywords related to their interest and social networks will list with keywords relevant to their theme and content.

We're building up the database at the moment so please feel free to submit your site. Please spread the word!

findasocialnetwork.com

FindASocialNetwork, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  13. SpiderMonkey85

SpiderMonkey85 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand how nobody says anything about repeated topics. I mean seriously, on the first page alone there are 4 different threads about this exact same topic- "how to promote social networking site". What's up with that? Everybody just wants to take part in the revenue share? That was a bad idea. It makes me want to avoid these forums.

SpiderMonkey85, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  14. mrobert

mrobert Peon

Best Answers:
    This might sound stupid (heard it from a friend) ... but try putting a sticker on your car's bumper :)

mrobert, Dec 10, 2007 IP