1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How does YouTube generate revenue?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Dimitrov, Oct 10, 2009.

Hey guys,

Maybe this was asked before somewhere, but anyway, I was really wondering how on earth does YouTube generate revenue? I mean, with all that traffic, I never see ads or anything (excuse me if I'm blind to them...lol) But seriously, don't they monetize anything at all? Or is it just because Google doesn't need to?:p

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dimitrov, Oct 10, 2009 IP
  2. yomimedia716

yomimedia716 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you go on YouTube's website you will see that they monetize traffic with ads on the right side of the screen. They use video rolls before and after the video plays, sponsorships, and other various ways. You can visit their website and look where it says advertising on the bottom. That will show you all the ways they monetize their site.

yomimedia716, Oct 10, 2009 IP
  3. SentoWeb

SentoWeb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    They have video ads, so they earn very much from them. And I`m sure they have many other "secret ways". ;)

SentoWeb, Oct 10, 2009 IP
  4. Newviewit

Newviewit Active Member

Best Answers:
    Youtube is trying to capture and own the market at the moment and has not tried to monetize until recently (knock out the competition). Now they are looking into online ads in the videos

Newviewit, Oct 10, 2009 IP
  5. thesilly1

thesilly1 Peon

Best Answers:
    The biggest source of revenue would probably be partnerships with some of the big media companies (at least that's my guess).

They do show ads in the videos and on the sidebar which would bring in money but probably not a 'significant' chunk.

thesilly1, Oct 10, 2009 IP
  6. be@stie

be@stie Member

Best Answers:
    I believe they are affiliated with google and that's how they make the most of their revenue.

be@stie, Oct 12, 2009 IP
  7. stephen4800

stephen4800 Active Member

Best Answers:
    google own youtube....

stephen4800, Oct 12, 2009 IP
  8. kgrad

kgrad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Youtube uses corporate partnerships, content ads (on the right side of the page) and, video ads for monetization.
    However, I think, I read in an investor conference paper, that the return on investment for YouTube is poor, and probably it is still not profitable..not sure though.

kgrad, Oct 12, 2009 IP