1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How hard will it be to switch to a Content Management Syatem?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by hmilesjr, Aug 10, 2005.

I have an Insurance site and I am thinking of switching over to a Content Management System. The site has 270 .html pages. I have been adding about ten pages of content or so a week. I am also wanting to start an RSS feed and from what I am reading I need to use a CMS to do it properly. I also want to be able to keep my same .html pages due to PR value.

How difficult for a novice will this be to implement? Time frame for such a project?

Hubert

hmilesjr, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You can get the site up and running in hours if it's just content that you have to put up. Then cutting across the 270 articles will take some time, allow 5 minutes for each - and ensure that you give them their original dates.

Styling the site to your template and everything else will take more time, depending on your skills, requirements etc.

I'd recommend Mambo as a great content management system with RSS out of the box.

It may be unrealistic to expect a system to retain your old page names however. It's also a short term problem as Google will reward you for your new site!

Sarah

sarahk, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  3. hmilesjr

hmilesjr Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was told last night that I didn't need CMS to do RSS (which was why I wanted it in the first place.) I add 5 to 10 articles a week to my site. Should I just add the articles into my newly created RSS file as I do them? Or would it be better to just leave the site alone now, start a subdomain or a file folder and use CMS from then on and only link to the articles from my RSS file?

hmilesjr, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  4. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    With the amount of content you're adding, using a page generating cms system would be your best bet. It will make it much easier to to maintain your site as well as make changes system wide whenever you want. It's kind of a hybrid. It uses a database to store the content, but generates actual web pages on the server from the database, using a template. Long term, this would probably be your best solution.

mopacfan, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  5. hmilesjr

hmilesjr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Where can I get information on setting something like that up?

6. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Design Agent, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  7. hmilesjr

hmilesjr Active Member

Best Answers:
    My other concern is my PR, would I be able to implement this and keep my pages named the same. I don't want to lose all my PR and end up with a URL names with a bunch of #'s.

8. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    as long as you 301 redirect if the page names are different, you won't have any issues.

mopacfan, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    This is a mambo site using sef404. Took me 5 minutes to add sef404. Took me about 30 minutes to set the site up. Much longer to add all the feeds I display but that's the "content" part where the effort should be directed.

sarahk, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  10. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont worry about your PR. The homepage will hold its PR and on the next update the pages will see theirs. Its only a visible thing anyway.

Design Agent, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  11. hmilesjr

hmilesjr Active Member

Best Answers:
    k I have everything downloaded. Is there a tutorial on installing Mambo? I know there has to be one somewhere I just can't seem to find it. Also, I have never build a page template before, is this any different from building a standard page?

12. hmilesjr

hmilesjr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok I have everything downloaded. Is there a tutorial on installing Mambo? I know there has to be one somewhere I just can't seem to find it. Also, I have never build a page template before, is this any different from building a standard page?

13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There will be somewhere. but it's as easy as pie

just upload the files with their directory structure intact and go to the page

you will get the install screen. it'll probably ask you to make some folders writeable and you do that using your ftp tool. Keep hitting f5 until you're happy.

then click on next and follow the instructions.

You do have a database, don't you?

Sarah

sarahk, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  14. hmilesjr

hmilesjr Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is a databese icon on the screen after I log in. I am using iPowerweb if you've ever heard of them

15. cdx

cdx Peon

Best Answers:
    I am going to install the same CMS ! Do you have any results? Did you manage to get everything done? Anything to tell a newbie ? :)

I would like to see a URL of your page if it's ok...

Thanks!

cdx, Dec 12, 2005 IP