1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how long?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by swiftmed, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    How long does it usually take someone to really know photoshop ?

well like in hours, how many hours of practice would it usually take?

I know its a newb question but I am new to photoshop and would like to know.

swiftmed, Feb 27, 2007 IP
  2. killerj

killerj Active Member

Best Answers:
    well , it gets only a few hours to know photoshop but to learn new techniques takes a life time .. its a new find daily just like life for me . Hope you understood what i just said ... :D
    Cheers!
    happy photoshoppin !

killerj, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  3. FreakyLime

FreakyLime Guest

Best Answers:
    I say within a day you'd know all the basic stuff, perhaps a few intermediate things. It takes about 2 weeks to fully know everything, where everything is etc.

But your skills will always keep improving.

FreakyLime, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  4. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been using photoshop for over 2 years.. but I'm sure you can learn A LOT about photoshop if you dedicate a few hours (lets say.. 2 a day for a week) doing photoshop tutorials and getting familiar with the tools. It's not too hard to learn :) The tools make everything so much easier!

8everything, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  5. FreakyLime

FreakyLime Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, tutorials will set you in place. If you follow some tutorials, you'd know where all the buttons are faster and you'd create a decent looking banner/signature/avatar/photo [depends on what tutorial it was] quickly. :)

FreakyLime, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  6. stereohead8o

stereohead8o Peon

Best Answers:
    I use it for a long time and still don't know half of it but I rarely use any tutorials. If you are working with tutorials I guess you can learn very advanced stuff within a moth or so.

stereohead8o, Mar 1, 2007 IP
  7. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, speaking from experience, it takes no more that two weeks (but spent almost fully on Photoshop) to get the basics (especially when armed with a nice and working tutorial), but then - those hard times of getting the specifics are to come.:rolleyes:

I guess that getting deeper in the matter takes years for those striving for high quality.;)

turbulence, Mar 1, 2007 IP
  8. swiftmed

swiftmed Peon

Best Answers:
    up until a few months ago all i used was macromedia fireworks for my graphic design stuff, i couldnt get the hang of photoshop, but i started forcing myself to do things with photoshop instead of fireworks, stuff i didnt know about, all i did when i didnt know how to do somthing is either find a tutorial, or many times i have asked for advice on the forums. once you learn it once, you know all about it, but i do agree, you learn things and techniques daily.

swiftmed, Mar 1, 2007 IP
  9. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    You just got to keep with it. Keep learning.

I have been using Photoshop for years++ and I learn new stuff all the time. If you want to learn little tips and tricks there is a couple of weekly Photoshop video casts.

cheers

jared, Mar 1, 2007 IP
  10. Nosliw

Nosliw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In addition to all these correct suggestions above me, you can also do this:
    Draw, in real life... Improves your creativity aswell, a very essential part of designing!

Nosliw, Mar 2, 2007 IP
  11. swiftmed

swiftmed Peon

Best Answers:
    very clever suggestion. never thought about doing that before.

swiftmed, Mar 2, 2007 IP
  12. shamrin72

shamrin72 Peon

Best Answers:
    yup..i must agree with Nosliw on this matters...creativity and ideas dont come in a flash..but sumtimes it takes only 10 minutes to design a simple banner when the ideas is there...

so swiftmed..learn tutorials+practise+practise+learn tutorials+practise+hard work...thats the main menu.. :D

shamrin72, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  13. Poxicator

Poxicator Peon

Best Answers:
    How long is a piece of string?

Most ppl know how to use PS to their requirements, few know everything possible and only a fool would say he knows everything there is to know. I've been using it since 2.0 and I'm still learning, despite being in there 8hrs a day!
    Just in case folks out there disagree, as a rhetorical question, do you know masks, channels, including how to create specials and why, the difference between the various rgb gamuts and cmyk, displacement maps, calculations, conversions to B/W, profiles, how to avoid dithering and cure banding, etc.
    There's plenty of tutorials online, figure what you need PS for and learn how to do what you need, that should make a good base for learning more. It's definitely worth spending some money on a book or vids but as others have suggested above "you can give a man a pencil, doesn't make him an artist" :)

Good luck, enjoy the fun, push the boundaries (but learn where they are first)

Poxicator, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  14. shamrin72

shamrin72 Peon

Best Answers:
    you're the man poxicator...dont you have any site regarding PS tutorials..??..i would be glad if you could share some of your knowledge on this..:D

shamrin72, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  15. Poxicator

Poxicator Peon

Best Answers:
    eek that would be a full time job in itself. There's plenty of tutorials on the net, unfortunately the forum tells me I can't link them yet, but its really worthwhile getting a good book to get your foundation, believe me it will pay dividends and help to reduce your timeload.

Poxicator, Mar 14, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.