1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Much Content Before Launch?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by jhmattern, Feb 27, 2007.

Just out of curiosity...

If you were launching a content-based site (articles), how many articles would you prepare before launching the site? Why?

What about other forms of content? For example...

What if you were launching a site featuring a collection of reports or e-books?

What about if you were launching a site selling or featuring audio files? Video files? Games?

I'm mostly concerned with your feelings on article-based sites, since that's my own focus, but just generally curious as to what's "enough" to give various sites a jumpstart before settling into a regular routine, in your opinions. :)

jhmattern, Feb 27, 2007 IP
  2. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Generally,

I would consider launching a content based website once I make sure that a user will find at least 10 titles per category to choose from. That if you are considering hiring someone to write original articles for your site. To get it started faster though, because you are likely to get very low traffic at first, I'd consider filling it with article packages to get as many indexes by search engines as possible. That would not mean quality content, and many would point to the "duplicate" issue which I can give examples of my own work to back up my disagreement.

Well, while your site is catching traffic with the low quality articles that can be as many as 10,000 to start with, you get time to concentrate on original content without keeping the site offline. It is important that search engines know about your site before you actually start serious business around it.

These are just my thoughts, and they have helped my with my own projects so far..

Clive, Feb 27, 2007 IP
  3. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You do not need much, because Google will take time to deep crawl your site.

So I would say 5-10 is enough.

infonote, Feb 27, 2007 IP
  4. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I've heard 10 before, and it's probably what I'm doing with my network when it's ready, but I do write all of my own content, which makes it a bit tough before launch sometimes. I'm also thinking about trying something new when I find time, as a sort of experiment to test monetization efforts for writers. I'll likely put together small packs of business-related (marketing, accounting, small biz, etc.) PLR articles, and sell them to limited numbers of people, so I can write about the experience later compared to my work selling individual pieces at higher rates. That's my ulterior motive in asking. ;) Trying to figure out how many to include in each set, to market them as a collection for launching a niche site. I'm thinking sets of 10 or 20, but not too sure yet.

So here's another question... if you were buying a set of articles to launch a site, how many copies would be acceptable for release if they're PLR? 30? 50? 100? more or less? Thanks. :)

jhmattern, Feb 27, 2007 IP
  5. casperl

casperl Peon

Best Answers:
    If that site will get a link (possibily sitewide) from my old web site, then i prefer to wait a little bit so that when google cvisits it gives a high grade for it. But if it will not get any backlink from my old site, i just open it immediately.

casperl, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  6. edr

edr Guest

Best Answers:
    As soon as you have one page you are open for business. Unless you actually market the site to your intended audience you may as well bring the spiders on over for a quick look. Something as simple as a single link in a directory that can make the bots find you is good as it won't likely bring visitors, but will begin the indexing.

I typically wait until I have about a dozen or so pages before I look to bring eyeballs to the site, but I am a firm believer that an early jump on search engine recognition is a good idea. Even aging a domain with a splash page is sufficient while you build out content.

edr, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  7. lyndonw

lyndonw Peon

Best Answers:
    I've always started slowly, 2-3 articles per "category". That way I can monitor where/what the users see and build targeted content accordingly.

lyndonw, Mar 3, 2007 IP