1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much should I charge for a web design?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by mediarosh, Jun 19, 2009.

Hi. I am a web designer, and I plan on offering my web design services on DP soon.

The thing is I'm not entirely sure what a good price for a layered PSD web design. There seems to be people offering these services for as low as $10, which isnt really possible in my opinion.

My designs are better than almost everything else I've seen on DP (sorry to brag:p). And I was thinking of charging $100-150, which is on the low-end for me.

What do you guys think? Will there be enough demand for my service? What do you think is a good price for a high-quality, professional web design.

mediarosh, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  2. qwertyuiop[

qwertyuiop[ Peon

Best Answers:
    high-quality, professional web design is really subjective term. However the price is good as long as you have someone to pay you. You can quote them even $500 for a good (stand out) design and they will pay to you if it's worth. You see what i mean?

qwertyuiop[, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  3. faust1611

faust1611 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well if you think your work cost that much then go with it. but people here at dp don't pay that much(most of them) you're lucky if got a high pay and that's rare. post some of your work, when people recognize them then that's a good sign you likely get payed high and noticed by buyers.

faust1611, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  4. mediarosh

mediarosh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, I could charge $500 for a design, and may even make one that is worth $500, but I dont think there would be anyone who wants to pay that for a web design.

Most people on DP who buy web design service are looking to design a good site and resell it. And thus I dont think they want to spend too much on it since it'll hurt their margins. To them its an expense not an investment.

I wanted to know if the $100-$150 range is affordable enough to get a large response from the community.

5. qwertyuiop[

qwertyuiop[ Peon

Best Answers:
    here at DP i don't think so :)

qwertyuiop[, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  6. eFinder

eFinder Peon

Best Answers:
    I feel the same way! always have a hard time on trying to decide on how much to charge someone for a website.

eFinder, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  7. JumpFresh

JumpFresh Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea definetely dont sell yourself cheap. Too many designers do that nowadays, they all try to be way to highly competitive and than in the end you end up doing work for less than youd get for min wage sometimes, just because you wanted to get the work. Especially with all the young kids in graphic design nowadays, its a shame!

JumpFresh, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  8. Destinyx3

Destinyx3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not many people will pay for a $100 design without proof that you make high quality templates. If you can prove it through your portfolio, then charge $100 to $150. You have to be very convincing though.

Destinyx3, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  9. jpang

jpang Peon

Best Answers:
    If it's unique, you can sell it for around $50-100. Otherwise, you won't be able to get very much here.

jpang, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  10. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    First thing you need to do is build some reputation. The next step is to build a good portfolio. You also need to expand your market besides DP. There are a few members who will pay that price but overall DP is quite cheap and many go for cheap over quality.

It all comes down to whatever someone will pay. Try one price and if it does not work, reduce your rates. It all depends on how cheap you are willing to sell yourself.

allout, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  11. zeekstern

zeekstern Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what is included. I would pay the $150 for a quality design if it included the graphics, logo etc, and was built so I could modify it and was guaranteed that it was one of a kind and would not be sold to anyone else.

A professional looking website has become much more important these last few months.

Good luck..

zeekstern, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  12. Crew Chief 007

Crew Chief 007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    DP is the place to hone your skills, get critiqued and then take what you've learned to the (OW) Outside World. $500+ for a web design outside of DP is the norm.

Crew Chief 007, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  13. mediarosh

mediarosh Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dont know of any good places outside DP where I can sell my work. I know of GAF, Guru, eLance, etc. but we need to bid there and its very difficult to get work because there are a lot of more experienced designers (or at least designers with lots of feedback) who do the work for a lot less.

Any one know of a place similar to DP (ie. a forum perhaps), where I can offer my web design services?

14. Laura Varon

Laura Varon Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on whether you're going to work as a freelance designer for whatever comes, or if you're going to have a more businesslike approach towards the whole thing. Have you tried looking at the fares of sites that specialize in web design? You could look at www.ilikewebsites.com, for one.

Laura Varon, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  15. faust1611

faust1611 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    forums are best to start with before going to freelance sites.

faust1611, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  16. narci

narci Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to start building some reputation here in DP or get some feedbacks. If you have them, You can charge expensive for it. But remember, you are not only one here on DP that offering web design services. There is a lot of competitors here. So be ready to compete their prices. Because mostly buyers will go to the lowest charges. ;)

narci, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  17. TreeSawDesign

TreeSawDesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been using eLance for the last 6 months and make $300 - $600 per month consistently (the most I've ever made in one month is $1200). If your portfolio is strong in eLance, you will have no problem getting work. The first month, I won one job - once I got my portfolio fully up and running, it was easy to get a minimum of three jobs per month. You have to be a good communicator and have strong portfolio samples. You have to know how to market yourself too.

TreeSawDesign, Jun 22, 2009 IP
  18. feeling_o_O

feeling_o_O Peon

Best Answers:
    here on dp i think it's hard to get 100$-150$ for a design ... no need to talk about even more ... and the main reason that the price are so low is that people accepts this small payment ... anyway , most of the time clients get what they pay for so for a cheap price i don't think they'll get a professional design .

feeling_o_O, Jun 22, 2009 IP
  19. johnhinds

johnhinds Active Member

Best Answers:
    Never sell yourself short. As a beginning designer I certainly did in order to build up my portfolio. Yet with four years of graphic design experience and a college degree, I should be able to fetch a bit more. Here on these forums most clients are looking for compositions on the cheap.

What I found as a great alternative to these forums is craigslist. I often get 500.00 plus projects off of there. This isn't the only place to sell your designs and don't go cheap. If you value your work you need to learn how to price yourself.

What if the website becomes a huge success. Would you feel bad that you only charged 50.00 for the design? I probably would.

johnhinds, Jun 22, 2009 IP
  20. jumpjump

jumpjump Peon

Best Answers:
    I support you, hope that they pay high price for your design

jumpjump, Jun 23, 2009 IP