1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much time would photoshop take to load 12 K Fonts?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by XuryaX, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I have bought a font cd and have copied all my donts to the windows font fodler. Now Adobe photoshop is gettng hanged whenever i open an image(only tried with images with text). Then it came to my mind that it may be loading all the fonts. I opened up a new document and clicked on text tool. Same is happenning. Its over an hour and its same state. Can anyone tell how much time would it take approx to load all the 12000 Fonts?

Thanks
    Shaurya

XuryaX, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  2. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    Question: how many fonts do you need to use? Being totally reailstic. No more than 40 Max at any given time. Tops.

Here's what I recommend. get rid of all of those fonts you installed from the CD, but not your system fonts ir your programs may not load. What it tries to do when you install new fonts is render a preview of all of them so it doesn't have to every time you hit the font drop-down, it's caching them, and you just agve it a LOT of new fonts to cache. It will eventually run.

What I think you should do is go get LinoType FontExplorer (think of it like iTunes for fonts) it's free and lets you manage/sort your fonts, and enable/disable installed fonts. You can have all of those fonts 'installed and ready to go' but disabled until you need them. It's a great piece of software and it's free.

Personally, Fonts are like clothing. Who cares if you can get 1000 walmart dress shirts for 20$, fonts are worth their money. You want a pro font (with a variety of weights, professional letterspacing and kerning pairs and multiple glyphs per character), you pay for the pro price. You really get what you pay for.

I imagine on that disc there might be a handful of good fonts and the rest, apart from 1 display word or title/headline, would be to obnoxious or amateur to stand up against a real pro font.

I don't want to sound harsh but the best logos come from modifying an existing pro typeface, not from getting a crazy font and typing the word - modify or re-work what's known to be quality.

Well, there's another more expensive option, it's the whole font suitcase thing but unless you have quality fonts it would be like ordering the most expensive wine on the menu to wash down your chicken wings and fries.

innovati, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  3. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    While innovati gets a little off topic, his suggestion is correct.
    Download and use FontExplorer

eruct, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  4. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    I got a CD of a couple thousand pro fonts and I imade the mistake of importing them all on, thinking I would just sort them.

They broke some of the existing fonts and I ended up having sometimes 5 multiples of each font....in variousl formats, each with their own weights.

I just took them alll out and put them into a folder on my desktop. Now I can look at those fonts and search them, try them out and when I want one, copy it into my font folder.

This is what I should have done from the beginning.

5. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I tried FontExplorer X about a year ago, and it was still too buggy to use. Now when I go to the Windows download page I see "Since our testing period has ended, we have removed the free download of the beta Windows version from our website. As soon as the new version is released, free downloading will resume." Is there anywhere else I can get the latest beta?

You can also try Extensis Suitcase to install/uninstall fonts. I've been using it for years, and although it does everything I need it to, it's a bit slow and clunky.

Any other good font tools I can try (for Windows)? I posted a thread a while ago (in GC) and didn't get a single reply.

Kerosene, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  6. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never been impressed with Microsoft's typographic ignorance. They hire great type designers to make them beautiful fonts, then the programmers dont' bother to make sure the fonts even show up well in windows.

Windows is not intended for development, it's just a consumer operating system intended for home use that happens to be able to run some powerful software.

Honestly, if you're doing anything serious about design, next time you upgrade get yourself a mac. It's well designed machinery and has a lot under the hood that apple never advertises, the environment (Unix) is a LOT more conducive to development and file management, as well as keeping software updated. and you can still run windows natively as a dual-boot machine.

Dont' go tossing your computer out the window today, just make sure next time you get a mac and a lot of these "issues" just dissappear....

7. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can't install more than around 100 TTF's or OTF's and expect windows, photoshop, firefox, etc. to work right.

Its unfortunate, but a fact of life. I had to spends days organizing my font sets into usable blocks of fonts. I use either extensis suitcase or adobe type manager(had for a long time).

hope that helps,
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  8. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, one of the morals we must learn in life is that some things are inevitable. You can't avoid doing some things like sorting fonts or whatever. There is no cheap/easy way.

How I would recommend you sort them might be along the lines of:

Serif
    Sans Serif
    Decorative <really funky stuff
    Handwritten
    Bitmapped
    foreign

Or you can look at the font categories on dafont.com and see their examples and get a sense for how they sort things. The best part is you want to be able to find it when you want it. Maybe make a folder for your favorites and check it first before you look for a font for a job.

Lastly, Wikipedia has some GREAT articles on typography. Learn about the software's typographical features. illustrator is better for text than photoshop because fonts are vectors, not bitmaps.

Learn how to kern letters and work on getting a sensitivity to typoraphy. If you are just typing in the letters and not kerning you CANNOT, and I mean that, CANNOT create a professional logo.

Best of luck, I caught the typography bug a few years ago and I'm loving it ever since :)

cheers, innovati!

9. XuryaX

XuryaX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do kern them :) . But i need some more fonts to kern and stuff. Because the basic design is in the font. I do have linux but i dont work well with gimp. Sure because Gimp is just for photo editing, we can probably make better things with gimp as we do in photoshop. Yeah, i could use crossover.

XuryaX, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  10. XuryaX

XuryaX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK, i got extensis suitcase but i cant now figure out how to uninstall them. Enable/disable i mean. Just installed it, so i will probably figure out by taking a look at it.

XuryaX, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  11. Kerosene

Best Answers:
    You just double click on the fonts you want to temporarily install, then do the same to uninstall them.

Kerosene, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  12. XuryaX

XuryaX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now i got a huge prob. How do i take all fonts except windows fonts out? I know the names through microsoft websuite but there are 80 FOnts. :|

XuryaX, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  13. XuryaX

XuryaX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thought of sorting out them by date but they show dates back to 1998 since those were the days of modifying them.

XuryaX, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  14. Claudiu

Claudiu Peon

Best Answers:
    and how would it help to have 12 k fonts loaded to your ps?

Claudiu, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  15. Kerosene

Best Answers:
    If sorting them by date doesn't work (I'm surprised it doesn't), then select the 80 required Windows fonts one by one. Then invert your selection and move all the other fonts to another directory.

If you find that certain applications require fonts that you've moved, then just move them back into the fonts directory.

The Windows Fonts directory limits the details you can 'sort by'. If you want to see the creation date, copy ALL the fonts to another directory and sort/delete them there. Then delete everything in your Windows/Fonts dir, and replace with the sorted fonts.

Kerosene, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  16. XuryaX

XuryaX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i will move all fonts to another directory and install default windows xp fonts which i acquired from my friend :)

XuryaX, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  17. XuryaX

XuryaX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It worked :D

XuryaX, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  18. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    this is why I like file management on the mac/linux platforms, less handcuffed and true instant searches.

Makes undoing mistakes like this a lot easier for sure

innovati, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  19. djkkenny

djkkenny Peon

Best Answers:
    dafonts is an excellent source for fonts.

just download them as you go. i prefer to stay away from mass font packages because of the exact reason you mentioned. photoshop, fireworks and other programs seemed to crash whenever i loaded them on my old PC which had about 20k fonts.

djkkenny, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  20. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    you know, there are a lot of designers who use 1 typeface for 60 years and their entire career. Something like helvetica or Akzidenz Grotesk,

Many designers use a small number of fonts their whole careers, like 3.

There are books out claiming that in the 5000 years of recorded human history, there are only 30 typefaces ever developed that have any lasting value, called 30 lifetime typefaces.

12k or 20k fonts is like a crackwhore orgy of type design when you only need 1 tender lover.

I think it would be wise to stick with Adobe Pro fonts if you have any, and keep the rest on the CD unless you want to use them for this one thing like a headline or logo....there's no reason they need to be installed

innovati, Feb 24, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.