1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much would you pay per page of content?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Ajeet, Sep 26, 2004.

Hi,

I am a media mogul in the making :p (said in a self-sarcastic tone, not a boastful tone).

One of my ideas is to set up a content factory, i.e. a set of full time editorial employees whose only job is to write content. I would separately html it, publish it and attempt to monetize it.

My question is, generally speaking, how much should I be willing to pay for a page of content? At what per page number would you feel there was a very high level of probability that I would be able to be profitable? Another way would be to think of how much you would be willing to pay for a set of 100 original articles on a topic?

If specs have any specific value to you, I am looking at slightly above average quality content, where every page has some point to make. Articles would not be of world-beating quality, but they will still be articles that add value to the reader. I am looking at 300-400 word articles.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ajeet

Ajeet, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am getting some terrific articles from a writer on elance for $20 each. 300-500 words each - just what I'm looking for. If you'd like her email address, email me, I'll be happy to share. She can do about 4 articles a week or so, maybe more, but I don't push her.

lorien1973, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  3. Spyware Remover

Spyware Remover Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, $15-$20 per article is about right for the U.S. labor market.

AJ

Spyware Remover, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  4. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From the ROI point of view, do you feel that you are able to easily recoup the $20 per article? That is the area of concern for me. Especially, since I am in the process of offering full time employment, and am looking at developing several hundred articles a day.

Help appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ajeet

Ajeet, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  5. Spyware Remover

Spyware Remover Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a hard question to answer because I do not know how you plan to monetize them. It also depends on how much it is going to cost you to produce each piece of content.

AJ

Spyware Remover, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  6. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Let us say affiliate links and adsense for monetizing. Re: How much it would cost me, well that is the question. What is the most I should be willing to pay while still getting a good deal.

Thanks
    Ajeet

Ajeet, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  7. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    I don't see where you have much choice but to give it a try. If the going rate is $20 then you won't be able to get the content you want for less. There is no point to paying more.

So, figure out a strategy that lets you test the concept at least risk/cost.

mhdoc, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  8. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess you are right.

The decision I am facing is whether it is worth the cost of hiring 8 writers, 2 editors and 1 manager on a full time basis. That would shoot down the cost to a really low amount. Something like $10 per article, but involve some serious commitment of money from my side, not to mention the infrastructure that I would have to provide.

Ajeet

Ajeet, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    So why don't you out-source it. Writing doesn't require an office, can be done anywhere by anyone. If you don't want the contract commitment then just pay them on a performance basis where you share the revenue of the page they create. Or give them the option, $10 per page or rev share.

Pretty sure you don't need 2 editors and 1 managers plus yourself. Sounds like overkill to me. Performance based pay will ensure quality. It balances itself out.

T0PS3O, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  10. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    No offense intended, but writing is the last thing which I would outsource to India.

Indian English is usually painful to read, due to the differences in word order.

For example, an Indian might write "How much it would cost me" where an American would write "How much would it cost me".

Neither may be necessarily incorrect, but one is certain to have better effects on American audiences.

Will.Spencer, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  11. nriweb

nriweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ajeet
    if u r located in india, definitely the cost will be much cheaper in india .. for a start I would think u start off with a smaller group ... maybe 2 writers and see for urself how its working out as far as earnings are concerned and based on the results u can increase ur team size and move up ...

nriweb, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  12. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No offense taken at all. But I think that like in any other country, India too has a large number of people who use incorrect language. The example you give would get any person a sound scolding from an English Teacher. That of course does not mean that many would not make the error :)

But, I agree that, outsourcing writing to India does not offer the same scale of price advantage that some other kinds of outsourcing would.

Ajeet

Ajeet, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  13. nriweb

nriweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

depends what ur target audience is ... and if its going to be international, Spencers suggestion has to be taken care of. Also Indian english is more influenced by British english.

But again spencer, what u mentioned was more "indian software engineer" english :) (no offence but most software engineers are science/engg graduates who studied in non-english medium in their first 10 years of school) If one recruits the right guys, definitely one can get much much better english.

nriweb, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  14. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    How about working out some kind of split with the writers that would improve your cash flow while you test things. Something like $Z/article now and X more for each Y readers.

That may be to labor intensive, but there must be several ways to reduce the pain now in exchange for a share of later profits.

mhdoc, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  15. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I could simply make it x% of what I actually make, that would be just dandy, but there aren't too many takers for that other than those who would make a few pages and expect to see some income.

Is anyone here running a write-for-me-and-share-my-earnings kind of site? I might have an interesting offer for you.

Thanks
    Ajeet

Ajeet, Oct 10, 2004 IP