1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Creat a Good design?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by saqib, Apr 10, 2007.

What are the fundamentals of creating a good design by using Photoshop or any other tools. I'm using photoshop , and have experience of 5 years. but still i am feeling that i am not a good designer yet.

saqib, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  2. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    What type of designs? The thing with graphics design is you need to keep up to date with the latest designs. Can you design web 2.0? Designs from.. 5 years ago are seen as bad and so on..

8everything, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  3. FireBeater

FireBeater Banned

Best Answers:
    Use minimum of images, maximum of html tables if there will be alot of articles.

FireBeater, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  4. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if its a good design, graphic elements are important.. theres a difference from a functional and nice looking site. A good blend of the two is always ideal :)

8everything, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  5. pedagangaff

pedagangaff Peon

Best Answers:
    5 years?should be enough to be a good designer.As for me I'm 7 years.

pedagangaff, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  6. smallbizstartupkit

smallbizstartupkit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you still feel like you are not a good designer, perhaps you can start expanding the types of projects you take on. You can do projects for a variety of different clients which will allow you to increase your design skills. In addition, looking at best practices in the industry should help. If all else fails, consider taking a course at your local community college or even online to brush up some of the latest techniques.

smallbizstartupkit, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  7. bennjoe

bennjoe Peon

Best Answers:
    use inspiration.
    it is a good way to improve ur design skill.look at variety of good design samples out there, n try to make more better than dat

bennjoe, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  8. DustyDog

DustyDog Guest

Best Answers:
    Some people have it, some people don't. I've been using Photoshop for three years myself, and it's all about keeping up with the trend, using a little magic and drinking lots of pure orange juice. No, seriously, it's true!

FireBeater, HTML tables? Lots of? Damn'it man, if you knew anything about anything you'd know that a table has absolutely nothing to do with design, and should only be used for tabular data. Hence, tables.

DustyDog, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  9. DustyDog

DustyDog Guest

Best Answers:
    I kinda agree.

Photoshop is a tool and anyone can learn how to use it. When I see a guy who's been DIY all his life, he has the same tools as I might have. A screwtdriver, saw, workbench etc etc, but is he so damn good?

The three P's. Practice, practice, practice. If you see something you like, stop admiring it and re-create it. Re-create for learning, not for selling it on for profit and engaging in silly amounts of copyright theft.

Once you've recreated it, use the same concepts in different ways, different shapes, mediums, styles.

For example, Web 2.0, nice eh? Well, so is the old English Edwardian look but it looks nasty on a website. Incorporate the two, bring different trends and styles into a modern light. Create an entirely new concept.

And last but not least, don't ever be scared of experimentation. I've found some of the most amazing things via experimenting and mistakes like reszing when I wanted to crop, using a colour I didn't intend to or rotating when I wanted to scale, etc etc.

DustyDog, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  10. JochenVandeVelde

JochenVandeVelde Peon

Best Answers:
    Web 2.0 is all about communication and interaction with the user. Use as lot of whitespace as you can, bold text and only use graphic elements if they have a function (e.g. a button).

JochenVandeVelde, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  11. Mr.tyro

Mr.tyro Guest

Best Answers:
    Be a good designer and years and years of practice. I have couple of them under my belt.

Mr.tyro, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  12. matrix0978

matrix0978 Peon

Best Answers:
    a 'good design' is opinionated. This also depends on the site content, if you are to interact with the user more, than web 2.0 definitely. Although if you are selling something, you want it to be more attractive, so add more effects. Also designs shouldn't take less than 1-2 hours to make. You have to take your time and test out colors and effects.

matrix0978, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  13. crewdesign

crewdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    The advice I always give people is to keep it really simple.

crewdesign, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  14. Swordfish

Swordfish Active Member

Best Answers:
    i prefer simple also... xhtml/css tables designs are a great way to go. You can desgin the site yourself nad the outsource the slicing to an expert if needed.

Swordfish, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  15. Flif

Flif Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not to step aside from the original topic (please, saqib, excuse me) but do you, guys, think that in web design more than simply a competence in, let's say, Photoshop *and other tools* is needed to have a great site as a result...Somewhere in the web I read an article with a question in its title - Do you have the designer's eye? - if I am not mistaken about the title. Anyway, the idea was that to have the brilliant design as an outcome, you need more than competence - let's name it talent or something like that...What do you think about it?:rolleyes:

Flif, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  16. DustyDog

DustyDog Guest

Best Answers:
    Flif, I do believe design is something you have or you don't have. One you decide that, it is possible to 'have' it, but some people just can't; their brains just aren't made that way.

This is why some people are good at coding, but bad at design and vice versa. :)

DustyDog, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  17. UneekTT

UneekTT Peon

Best Answers:
    I feel as this site will tell you all of what you need to know regarding "good design"

webpagesthatsuck.com

Just dont do anything that you see there and you should be on your way to being a "good designer"

Best of luck!

UneekTT, Apr 17, 2007 IP