1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to determine a website's value?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Zhono, Jul 16, 2011.

Can't really find any (recent)information about this. How do you go about deciding how much your site is worth? The only decent article I found(which was about 6 years old) suggested taking the yearly revenue, deducting the operating costs, and multiplying by 2 or 3. While that formula might work in some cases, I figure it's probably a little more complicated than that. Or is it? Any advice here?

Zhono, Jul 16, 2011 IP
  2. GrantDraper

GrantDraper Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is no way to value a site realistically. I might pay 20 months revenue, someone else might see that they could add huge amounts of value to their business because of the site and offer you 40 months revenue. That being said, at the time you sell, the only people that see it/prepared to buy it, might only offer 10 months revenue.

It's sort of like starting ebay auctions at 0.99. If you have a product that's 1000.00 RRP and 1 bidder, it will sell for 0.99; simple. If you have 10 bidders, it could go £750 or more!

GrantDraper, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  3. sumdor

sumdor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try websitesoutlook.com
    If you need special assistance contact them.

sumdor, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  4. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Monthly income multiply by 10-24 sometimes even more

w3bmaster, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  5. Zhono

Zhono Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses guys. I guess the saying holds true: It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

I'm just hoping to figure out a good starting point. I've been building websites for a long time now, but I've never sold any of them. I don't want to sell a site at too low of a price just to find out I sold way too cheap.
    I'm sure that's a problem that many people run into when they start out, but I'm hoping to avoid it as much as I can. I guess monthly revenue x10 is a good place to start a price at, until I get better at judging the real value of a site.

Zhono, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  6. Intermg

Intermg Active Member

Best Answers:
    Usually 12-18 months revenue. But this isn't reliable anyway, like any other estimation method. Best of all is to build your very own website. :)

Intermg, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  7. The Elite

The Elite Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Traffic, niche, back-links and click rate/revenue.

The Elite, Jul 19, 2011 IP
  8. _Nexo_

_Nexo_ Peon

Best Answers:
    Website value is decided only when it´s sold, atleast that´s my opinion.
    You could get an idea just by looking at the revenue, ranking, traffic and etc.
    But the only true way to find out, sell it. Sometime it has more value then you think, sometimes it has much lower. ;)

_Nexo_, Jul 19, 2011 IP
  9. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    websiteoutlook.com provides you same information

jhardy2008, Jul 19, 2011 IP
  10. Albert L.

Albert L. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Interesting. This is definitely a good post on judging developed websites. Websites are like developed properties with value in them.

Albert L., Jul 20, 2011 IP
  11. yhe

yhe Active Member

Best Answers:
    that's depinds! what kind of websites or domain do you have! for exemple pizza.com! with we are talking about revenue you can multiply that with 1000 and would not get the corect value ( was sold a year ago or so for 3.000.000$ if i rember correctly) !

:cool:

yhe, Jul 22, 2011 IP
  12. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on so many things, such as traffic, revenue, niche, etc. Some sites have built up a genuine social media presence where the site has become extremely popular without the need of SEO, these sites can be worth even more. Revenue and traffic are the biggest factors though....

cronik, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  13. CheapDotComs

CheapDotComs Member

Best Answers:
    1. revenue
    2. revenue
    3. revenue potential
    4. traffic
    5. revenue

or to say it differently, it's 95% about the revenue, the history of the revenue and the future potential of the revenue

CheapDotComs, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  14. jbbmx

jbbmx Active Member

Best Answers:
    it is all based on what someone will pay for it, if you buy a website (or even domain) that someone really likes and wants then they will pay over the odds for it and could give you a large amount for it. unless that happens it will be based on your revenue from ads and alike.

jbbmx, Jul 12, 2013 IP