1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to get a cms up a running

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by mel_akey, Jul 24, 2006.

ok... I am new at this and was looking into a cms... but when I donwload one (I tried mambo and joomla) all I get is a bunch of stuff on my desktop... what do I do with all these files? I thought this was a program... so why doesn't it have an auto installler etc?
    I had this guy helping for like 2 days trying to get mambo installed and its still not working. I wanted to load it on my computer and build my site and then get with a host that supports php etc... so how do I get it up and running on my desktop?
    as you can tell I don't know much about this... sorry if its a dumb question!

mel_akey, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  2. factchecker

factchecker Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not a program for the website. It runs completely on-line which means you can edit from anywhere. Once the files are uploaded to your site which needs php and mysql, then you just type in the directory where the install folder is and the directions are on screen. Not easy in any way, but, there is a lot of help online.

factchecker, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  3. mel_akey

mel_akey Guest

Best Answers:
    oh, so I have to get a domain and then a host that supports mysql and then load the program to the site?

4. factchecker

factchecker Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah..... If I were you I would hirea web designer/program. You should focus your time and energy on advertising not design.. Installing a content management system can be very tricky and you want to make sure and get the right hosting company. Good Luck.

factchecker, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  5. mel_akey

mel_akey Guest

Best Answers:
    I would if I had any money to spend on it ... but I don't plus I like to be in control... maybe for now I should just stick to html then? since I know that

6. kyoku2

kyoku2 Peon

Best Answers:
    You should learn as early as you can. but you can build contents in html as you learn how to work with CMS. It's not that hard. It's just hard if you want more add on features and custom themes.

kyoku2, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  7. JosefV

JosefV Peon

Best Answers:
    View this flash step-by-step tutorial:
    http://www.joomlatutorials.com/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,88/Itemid,39/

JosefV, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  8. mel_akey

mel_akey Guest

Best Answers:
    cool thanks!

mel_akey, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  9. Stoofovski

Stoofovski Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello!

You don't need to buy domain or hosting to test/try out cms systems. You CAN do it on your computer. You just need to install php/apache/mysql, and your system will be ready for the fun. If you are on windows, just download some 4 in one packs like phptriad - http://sourceforge.net/projects/phptriad/, they have auto installer, and will setup a local server. Read manuals. Then go to where ever it created htdocs folder, and put your mamba cms there (unzipped), open phpMyAdmin (which is a part of the package you installed and should be under http://localhost/phpmyadmin) Set up the database, then open your cms http:localhost/yourcms (htdocs/yourcms) and install it. You will be able to run it offline, edit and modify, and EVEN show off to your friends if you have own IP adress http://yourip/yourcms
    It is abit complicated at first, but once you figure it out, it is very easy :)

So,
    step1, get 4 in one packs and install apache/php/mysql/phpmyadmin on your box
    step2: read manual and learn where to put your files (in htdocs) so you can access them
    step3: create folder for your cms inside of the htdocs, and put cms there
    step4: use phpmyadmin to create a database
    step5: install the cms (read manual for the cms installation)

Good luck :) PM me if you have any questions/ need more help

Stoofovski, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  10. Pligg

Pligg Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest starting out with easier CMSs and working your way up to the more difficult to install. For example, Gallery.menalto.com and Wordpress are simple to install for beginners compared to some other scripts.

Pligg, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  11. factchecker

factchecker Peon

Best Answers:
    I really think you should just pay a college kid to install it for you. Once everything you want is installed and your trained you are on your way. DO NOT take the advice of trying to install it on your own system. It will do you no good and it's a waste of time. If you install an easier CMS then you you would only want to upgrade later and then you're in the same boat.

factchecker, Jul 29, 2006 IP