1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to make a site for price comparison

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by blue_angel, May 11, 2006.

Hi,

I am interest to create a site for product price compare like kellko can you help me what I need to do that ?
    Also can you suggest me script to do the above ?

Thanks

blue_angel, May 11, 2006 IP
  2. HenrikAI

HenrikAI Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think there is any scripts available for this.

The easiest thing to do is to contact all shops you would like to compare and ask them provide a product- and price-file in some (standard) format. You could then download it from their server once a day or so.

Otherwise you need to learn (or hire someone who knows) regular expressions. Unfortunately the regular expressions needs to be modified for each shop so it is quite a complex task..

HenrikAI, May 11, 2006 IP
  3. blue_angel

blue_angel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your help

blue_angel, May 12, 2006 IP
  4. natsirtm

natsirtm Active Member

Best Answers:
    natsirtm, May 12, 2006 IP
  5. pricethat

pricethat Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are several ways of doing what you want, the quickest and easiest is to just use kelkoo's affiliate scheme where they provide a script through one of their affiliate network partners like OMG or such. You benefit from a part payment per click of what they get but it is quite strict and not as cash productive as marketing products yourself.

There are scripts available to run limited price comparison of a few hundred products or so, but when you start getting into thousands of products or in some cases even to start you will see the limitations of such cheap scripts. you can find scripts like that to get you started at www.pricetapestry.com made by a guy called d morrison ( i think). Less than 50 pounds i think for basic php scripts

Seperately we make software that will allow you to run a full scale service like kelkoo, pricerunner etc but then you are talking quite a few thousand pounds.

The thing you have to remember is it might sound easy but the likes of kelkoo, pricerunner and shopping.com are multi million pound businesses, you are very unlikely to find software of their level for a few pounds and some idle tinkering.

Hope that helps a little

pricethat, May 27, 2006 IP
  6. blue_angel

blue_angel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your answer help me a lot Thanks all for your replies

blue_angel, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  7. Tigran

Tigran Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I'm also interested in creating price comparison site. The all data will be in our Database. No need to connect shops servers.
    Is there a way to create price comparison site using magento??
    Or maybe there are any else e-commese platforms which I can use??

Waiting for response,
    thanks.

Tigran, Jun 3, 2010 IP
  8. barrywolf

barrywolf Peon

Best Answers:
    You could use this a script based affiliate program created by smartshoppingads, which is owned by United Internet AG (and owns 1&1). This affiliate scheme is based on a click-per-search and is meant to be pretty good.

barrywolf, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  9. Tigran

Tigran Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried magento, and it works good. All I needed to do was adding several custom modules.

Tigran, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  10. ladylioness

ladylioness Peon

Best Answers:
    ladylioness, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  11. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you can create a price comparison website using an api from one of the popular price comparison websites such as shopzilla, price grabber and others, some of these offer complete platform for you ready to go.

wounded1987, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  12. MOG

MOG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MOG, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  13. Tigran

Tigran Peon

Best Answers:
    why WP, not magento???

Tigran, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  14. MOG

MOG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    because magento is a shopping cart. not a price comparison website.

MOG, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  15. hulefar

hulefar Peon

Best Answers:
    But Magento CAN be used for it ;-) It will be an expensive job to do it. And there is a few modules out there to amazon and such to load products in with

hulefar, Aug 17, 2010 IP
  16. MOG

MOG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dont be rediculous.... Magento is a SHOPPING CART. its neither an affiliate frontend, not a price comparison script. Magento is a fantastic shopping cart, but nothing else.

MOG, Aug 18, 2010 IP
  17. Tigran

Tigran Peon

Best Answers:
    :DD
    See my post
    It works fine. And all I needed was adding 2-3 custom modules. And it became very nice price comparison site.

Tigran, Aug 18, 2010 IP
  18. MrDiscret

MrDiscret Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just built a price comparison website and a hot deals website. Both are built by me from scratch and rely on product files I am getting from affiliate networks. What I can say is that it's not an easy job to build such a web site. I've been working on this for months. At the moment, I have over one million products in my database (the price comparison one) and it takes about 3 hours to update all the products based on the files I receive on a daily base from the affiliate networks I'm affiliated with. As far as I know, there isn't any truly decent script out there that would do what you need. Also, I don't believe such a website can be run by a person who doesn't have (quite solid) technical programming skills. If you'd like to take a look at my websites, just let me know. I didn't post it here for obvious reasons.

MrDiscret, Aug 25, 2010 IP
  19. negri21

negri21 Peon

Best Answers:
    Please contact me with the sites you have created, very interested in seeing what you have developed and trying to implement into my site as well.

negri21, Nov 16, 2010 IP
  20. Tigran

Tigran Peon

Best Answers:
    The price comparison site I've made is a local project (by local I mean based on my countries shops and products). It's allready on-line, but still is in process of filling with products. I used magento, but for prices I've created my own models. By that I've lost some Magento functionalities, for example taxes, special prices, etc. (But I believe my site even doesn't need that). And site works good and is satisfying all needes we have for now. You can see site here http://www.smartbuy.am/

Tigran, Nov 17, 2010 IP