1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to make the perfect catalog?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by wptheme, Dec 3, 2008.

Hi, I am looking to make a one page simple catalog.
    Does anyone has any experience? Would really like some examples or tips on how to make one. Its for my ecommerce site and I want to send it people targeting kids,teens.
    Hope for feedback soon. Any templates or PSD is appreciated.:)

wptheme, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  2. goyan

goyan Peon

Best Answers:
    try to use quakexpress for mac

goyan, Dec 13, 2008 IP
  3. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    @goyan: haha I think it's called Quake4 and it's not the right tool for the job, but it sure is a wonderful waste of precious time shooting those Stroggs!

@wptheme: you ask for a PSD, and I don't see how this applies here. Photoshop is, as the name suggest, a toold for retouching and manipulating photographs. The age of camera-ready page layouts is (thankfully) over (even though I was trained in that). What you are looking for is a layout ready for a multi-page layout program, like QuarkXpress, or even better Adobe inDesign.

Even though you might ask: why do I want a multi-page layout program if I'm simply making a 1-page layout?

Here are the reasons:

- Although Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator both have text tools, there is no way the simple text tools can match the power of the inDesign text tool.

- Although you could design your piece ready for print at a massive resolution in Photoshop in order to get your photographs at 300dpi for printing, then you'd end up with a preposterously large end PDF. And if you tried to import bitmapped images (your photos) into Illustrator, although you'd end up with a proper vector-based layout, you wouldn't have hardly any control over how the bitmapped images were saved when you save it as PDF. When you design in inDesign (or QuarkXpress) you are doing it on a vector page, but youalso have full control over typography and also the size and quality of your images when you go to export to PDF.

- Scalability: if you ever, at any point in the future, desired to make another 2-pager based on the first 'catalog' (which really should be called a 'flyer' at this point) you'd have no way to add a second page in Photoshop or Illustrator, and if you did you'd have a lot of text formatting to do to add all of the text to the second page. inDesign lets you save text styles like you save colour swatches to a palette, creating these character styles is a part of making a proper layout, and the only way to do that is by using the correct software for the job.

So, in the end, I guess you can sort of use a screwdriver to put a nail in a piece of wood, but why you'd ask for a screwdriver instead of a hammer baffles me. Use the right tool for the job. It is nearly impossible to deliver a professional result with the wrong tool, and you'd have to be insanely good at the wrong tool to produce professional results with it - why not just use the correct tool and require a lot less effort and clever devilry?

innovati, Dec 14, 2008 IP