1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How To Make Your Forum A Blog

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by barutiwa, Jan 3, 2011.

Baruti M. Kamau the author of "Suggestions For Online Content Distribution" has written another article entitled "Converting Your Forum Into A Blog". Forums and blogs are popular software for managing user-generated content, but Mr. Kamau believes most free forum software on the market have multiple uses as blog commenting systems, read-only archives, chat-forums and even news services. Transforming your forum into a blog is an idea webmasters should consider and the different ways of making it happen as described in Mr. Kamau's article is worth looking into. ;)

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

barutiwa, Jan 3, 2011 IP
  2. barutiwa

barutiwa Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've found another forum that is using the forum platform to operate blogs. The site is called Complete Thoughts. Anyone reading this thread who knows of other sites using forum software to power blogs should PM me or post a comment under this thread. Thanks in advance.

barutiwa, Jan 29, 2011 IP
  3. Greg Carnegie

Greg Carnegie Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that it would be better to convert blog into forum. Forum has more user generated content and can live on it's own, while blog requires you to start threads ie. create new blog posts. In my opinion blog does not scale as well as forum ... unless the forum does not have regular visitors/posters.

Greg Carnegie, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  4. barutiwa

barutiwa Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It is true forums can live on their own. I prefer the multiple use features of forum software such as modifying some into blogs and read-only news service via permissions. For practical reasons I'm not cool with the limited use of contemporary blog software.

barutiwa, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  5. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    You can say the same about Drupal or Joomla, but when it comes to their forum modules they pretty much suck IMO.

Traditionally, forum software has been trying to migrate into more of a portal than being able to mod it to be a blog, or news site. Those capabilities have been there for years, all it took was to run the thread thru a different template basically and you had commenting built in. They were doing that with phpBB back in 2004.

Forum software does have great User Admin abilities though, and that is a plus over any blog software right now.

And if you are looking for another forum with a blog and news articles built into it, you are on that site right now.

Dodger, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  6. barutiwa

barutiwa Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Enlightening post Dodger. Thank you.

barutiwa, May 21, 2011 IP
  7. Bigdigits

Bigdigits Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi all, I like the discussion. I'm operating two blogs and planning to delve into a forum.. already installed phbb n it is quite encouraging to read yuor comments.

Bigdigits, May 22, 2011 IP