1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to minimize the size of an image?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by andrej, Mar 10, 2007.

I'm developing website for my domain TowerEiffel.com, have created a header for it and wonder how can I reduce the size of the image without the loss of quality. Also, I'm not sure if it shall be .jpg or .gif file. What's smaller?

This .jpg image (the header of my site - you'll find it here) has 48.68 kB. I'm sure the size can be reduced to at least a half, just don't know how. I saved this .jpg in Photoshop, image options - quality: 8 (high), 72 DPI. I also use IrfanView so I could convert the file to .gif as well.

I'd like to reduce the size of this image as much as possible (but without the loss of quality) in order to make my site load quickly and save some bandwidth as well.

Thanks in advance.

andrej, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  2. ma0

ma0 Peon

Best Answers:
    As a rule of thumb you have to remember that Jpg is for pictures and gif for text.
    I opened your header.jpg and then I just saved it as jpg with Irfanview and now it's only 19k.
    Try yourself. I haven't changed any option.

ma0, Mar 10, 2007 IP
    andrej likes this.
  3. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you. However, now the text "TowerEiffel.com online guide" appears a little bit blurry. It's probably because of what you've said: that .jpg is for pictures and .gif for text. Could you advise me how to preserve the same quality of the text as well? Or, how shall I make it? Shall I separate the text and the picture into 2 images - the text into a .gif and the picture into a .jpg and make the .gif transparent?

andrej, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  4. Luuk

Luuk Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you cant reduce the size of the file whitout losing quality, the best is a .gif with much colors, that might look good.

Luuk, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  5. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    OK, I'll try to make it that way. Thank you Luuk.

andrej, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  6. jmul7

jmul7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Try File>Save for Web in Photoshop and play around with the settings as either jpg or gif.. It reduces the size greatly with minimal loss of quality :)

jmul7, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  7. ma0

ma0 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see a lot of difference. I think you have to play a bit with jpg parameters, otherwise if you want to have maximum quality with minimum space/bandwidth used, you can remove the text from the image, save it as jpg with 80% and then write the text over it using css.

Remember then to test it with the 4+1 browser
    IE,Firefox,Opera, Khtml/Safari . +1 is IE7. :)

Khtml/Safari is for Mac and some Linux users. Easy to test with a knoppix dvd if you don't have a mac or linux.

ma0, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  8. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Saved for web, 60% .jpg quality and I achieved 24.0 KB with minimum loss of quality. You can already see the picture (the header) on my site.

andrej, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  9. thinktankertwo

thinktankertwo Peon

Best Answers:
    Great job man! Your image is awesome. But maybe you can reduce the text a little bit or change the background color (but black and orange is great already!). My eyes kinda darted everywhere. If you have a lot of text, try not to use dark background and bright fonts. Eyes will hurt reading those tonnes of words.

thinktankertwo, Mar 10, 2007 IP