1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to stop spam on PhpbB ?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by seoindiaweb, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    There's some spam going on my new webmasters forum//
    does anyone know any mod, which can stop the same ?

Thanx
    Krunal

seoindiaweb, May 1, 2007 IP
  2. Actor Mike

Actor Mike Peon

Best Answers:
    Actor Mike, May 4, 2007 IP
    MaryMary likes this.
  3. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Your board is empty, why don't you opt for an upgraded phpbb. The version 3 (beta?) is pretty nice from what I understand. I'm using phpbb 2 right now and I put it in my site in November 2006, and it is nothing but spam every day even though I have the admin activate and the hide inactive members mods coded in. If you are keen on keeping pbpbb2 then the mod I suggest for you is the textual confirmation mod. It's where you ask a question and the person registering has to give the correct answer. I didn't use this mod myself because I don't know what the hell I'm doing in the sql table/server side. So for now, I've got my board squeezed tight, and deleting each day.

PS. I really like simple machines and my next project (if I can get it right) is going to have joomla and simple machines on the domain. I tried this once and messed it up. akk! Anyhow, goodluck to you :)

Karen May Jones, May 4, 2007 IP
  4. seoindiaweb

seoindiaweb Banned

Best Answers:
    lemme see if i can update to Phpbb 3 .. bcoz i think there's no solution to stop spam in PhpBB

seoindiaweb, May 4, 2007 IP
  5. yogesh sarkar

yogesh sarkar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try Anti-Spam ACP works quite well, I have been using it for a few days now and not even one spam bot till now.

yogesh sarkar, May 4, 2007 IP
  6. fedoras

fedoras Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try visual confirmation, some anti bot modules and do not let guests to write over the forum...

fedoras, May 5, 2007 IP
  7. kaisellgren

kaisellgren Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had CATPCHA on my phpBB board once but still someone was creating fake accounts 50 a day or so. He managed to active those accounts too =/

kaisellgren, May 5, 2007 IP
  8. RRWH

RRWH Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suffer from spam on phpbb - even after around 12 different anti-spam hacks.

I switched to minibb (minibb.net) and so far, I have a couple of sites that have not had a single spam signup - these sites have been up for about a year.

Not only do you not get the spam signups, but you get a much better Forum that is easy to customise and SEO friendly as well.

RRWH, May 6, 2007 IP
  9. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your board targets USA visitors you can block the main spam countries by IP address. This takes some time but is helpful. It's unfortunate that you have to do this because there are people in some of those countries that you might want to see your boards. South Korea, Russia, Brazil - etc.

Next you can install mods to block the bots.

Next you can log IP's and block the IP's.

Next you can install a mod to remove the URL field on registration.

Next you can use the words block feature to block all the spammy drug and sex post words.

And even after you do all of that the same old POS spammers will still keep trying to register.

One D*Head kept registering through proxy servers on one of my boards about a dozen times before he finally clued in.

Google will soon be filtering links from Boards, but they will keep right no spamming because they still get some traffic.

When you live in a country where $1 an hour is great pay, it's easier to spend all day spamming.

And here is the REALITY of it all. If you remove the finanacial incentive the spam stops. But who cares? Do any of the ISP's care? NO! Does the Government care? NO Who cares? No one. Spam is ramapant because it works. People buy from spammers then complain later. People get scammed in money for nothing schemes because they want something for nothing.

When you get tired of the Spam you can take your board down. Or you can purchase a supported commercial product like VBulletin. At least they have incentive to STOP spam. Open source products are just targets.

Good luck.

internetmarketingiq, May 11, 2007 IP
  10. Actor Mike

Actor Mike Peon

Best Answers:
    I've just found a 100% fool proof way of stopping phpBB spam.

I've stopped using phpBB

Actor Mike, May 12, 2007 IP
  11. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    mdvaldosta, May 12, 2007 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  12. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Here is my advice: switch to vBulletin or if short on funds then switch to Simple Machines.

There are tools on both of these sites that would allow you to transfer your database to theirs so that you don't lose any of your members or posts.

EJRaven, May 12, 2007 IP
  13. bbrian017

bbrian017 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpbb3.0 is beta and not supported. Your best bet is too search phpbb's website and look for the spam mod. There's one out there and I know it works. If you do decide to run phpbb3.0 beta5 you’re not going to have support from phpbb and your will have issues upgrading to the RC1 release that’s due soon. I would suggest holding off until you can upgrade with support to the RC1 release. If you're thinking about switching to a new forums system all together you can look here for free forums scripts. http://www.yoursourceforinfo.com/forums.html

bbrian017, May 14, 2007 IP
  14. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    True it is in beta! I am using phpbb2 right now and I did install a very nice mod yesterday that prevents new users from posting links. It is a very nice addition to the board. Now I'm looking for something to fix the profile links. I spent a long time browsing that topic at the phpbb site today... haven't found exactly what I need yet.

Karen May Jones, May 14, 2007 IP
  15. RRWH

RRWH Active Member

Best Answers:
    the problem with patching PHPBB is that every time there is an upgrade it usually takes a lot of time to upgrade. That is one of the reasons I dislike phpBB.

You can minimise the amount of spam with 6 or 7 mods, but as soon as you mod the code maintenence becomes a nightmare.

RRWH, May 14, 2007 IP
  16. bbrian017

Best Answers:
    Tell me about it. I have been with phpbb for a long time and this has always been my issue. To be honest I have never had a board last me more than a year. How is someone suppose to keep users wihen a board won't last more than a year :) Right now I'm running the may 10th release of phpbb beta 5, so far so good, but like I said I'm all alone here with no support or anything.

bbrian017, May 15, 2007 IP
  17. Actor Mike

Actor Mike Peon

Best Answers:
    Spam was one of the main reasons I stopped using phpBB but the whole upgrade business was a major contributing factor. I wish they made the mods more..ermm..modular! The WordPress model is a great example where you can completely alter how it works but without affecting the core code.

Actor Mike, May 15, 2007 IP
  18. bbrian017

Best Answers:
    I see you went with mybb great job and very nice style, has the spam stopped?

bbrian017, May 27, 2007 IP
  19. seoindiaweb

seoindiaweb Banned

Best Answers:
    I dont know,, how spam stopped.. but its just i am not gettin any spam.. its default style.. only 4 MB of size and easy to install..

seoindiaweb, May 27, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.