1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to tile a layer? (repeat the layer on x and y)

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by SkyNet, Jan 17, 2010.

I'd like to know how can I repeat a layer in photoshop to make it as tiled background image, just like you can do that in HTM with background image that repeats on x,y or both.
    I hope the only way to do it is not to endlessly duplicate layers until they all fill the canvas :(

SkyNet, Jan 17, 2010 IP
  2. dabzo

dabzo Peon

Best Answers:
    No there is a way, but it keeps changing... used to be one thing, now it's a plug in... If you read up on patterns and textures for photoshop you're sure to find something useful. basically, you select what you want and then use it as a fill on what ever else you want (the whole canvas included) I tried to find something for ya, but with cs4 it looks like it's a plugin... they slipped that one by me.

Hope that helps!

dabzo, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  3. SkyNet

SkyNet Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I'll try to find something, but if you remember what it is please let me know :)

SkyNet, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  4. SkyNet

SkyNet Guest

Best Answers:
    Heh, silly me, it's so easy!

You open a picture, go to Edit\Define as pattern, name it whatever you want this pattern to be called. Then in the styles window you select that pattern and voila!

SkyNet, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  5. dabzo

dabzo Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol, thanks man! Here i was trying to help and you end up helping me...

Hey, there is a way to get things to repeat without having any sort of edge around them... When you're working on them, if you can get the to tile 2x2 seamlessly then you will have a seamless texture... Which can look really sharp.

dabzo, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  6. tsoprano

tsoprano Peon

Best Answers:
    this indeed is a great tip. the define option in edit you can make your own brushes also.

tsoprano, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  7. dabzo

dabzo Peon

Best Answers:
    And these brushes become really great when you use a vector graphic for them.

dabzo, Jan 19, 2010 IP