1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How would I make money ASAP with this contest site?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by pointydigits, Jul 19, 2010.

So I've built this site http://humor.com.jm on which (essentially) users submit jokes which are then rated and ranked by said site's users.

These joke telling contests are run sequentially and the results of each contest are then posted after it finishes. While a contest is being voted on, jokes are being collected for the next contest.

Ultimately where I'm headed with this is to create a community around this concept of joke-telling and user moderation of the same. I'm going to reach that ultimate objective in phases though, with the first phase being what I've built so far...

There's also an email component to what I've done so far; jokes that have been in past contests can be emailed to yourself or friends. With mine or a sponsor's tagline at the bottom of course.. for now I'm promoting my consultancy.. I'd prefer to promote something more scalable though.. something which doesn't necessarily depend as heavily on my personal input to work! Ideas anyone?

When you visit the site, the counter (at the bottom of the page) allows you to view realtime statistics of my visitors, and nearly all of them have been (to my knowledge) generated through emails I'd sent to my friends (maybe 100 people) when I'd first started beta-testing it. What happened there was each email would generate a few visitors over the day or so after I'd sent it. You can tell from the traffic patterns when I stopped sending those emails! I've also been getting quite a bit of traffic with no referrer.. mostly after I'd stopped sending the emails.. that's all type-in traffic, isn't it? I'd put up a reference to it on my facebook page after I'd stopped the emails, but I only see one visit with facebook as a referrer.

My original plan was to generate revenue from adsense, but the reality I'm seeing here is an eCPM of about $0.12.. 1/20th of what I was expecting!

My questions are: What must I do to generate a sustainable flow of traffic to my site? What can I do with this site right now to make money with it?

P.S. I'm thinking of offering a small cash prize as an incentive for my users to submit jokes, and I'm also considering advertising it, but before I do either I'd like to have a good idea how I'm going to recoup this money...

P.P.S. Before you mention it, I am going to put in a mechanism to collect the emails of users interested in the results of current and future contests, just haven't gotten around to that yet, if you think that should be my priority right now, please mention it!

pointydigits, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  2. pointydigits

pointydigits Peon

Best Answers:
    Again, the name of the site in question is humor.com.jm...

I say this because if you look at the publicly accessible counter, nobody's visited since I put this up.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    pointydigits, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  3. webbmaster

webbmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it does not display properly in Google Chome browser..

we can always use another humor site.. but you are in a crowded market.. find some stress relief related product and sell them on your site on affiliate basis

webbmaster, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  4. pointydigits

pointydigits Peon

Best Answers:
    It's the formatting of the jokes themselves; I'm working on that.

Crowded market? what originally drove me was just the idea of building a community.. the idea of profit never entered my mind until recently.. so now I've started this and I'm wondering how I can make money off it.

Hmm... stress relief related product.. that's a thought...

pointydigits, Jul 20, 2010 IP