1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I got my self a graphic tablet any tutorials?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Audiomad, Aug 14, 2008.

I just got a graphic tablet but finding it very hard to use! I have photoshop cs3 and fireworks cs3 does anyone have any tutorials or tips on how to create images such as animals and icons?

Audiomad, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  2. scorpionagency

scorpionagency Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well, first off Graphics tablets are geared more for the vector designer or Painter. Myself, I'm a 2D Vector designer that uses a graphics tablet daily for points/paths vector work. The main benefits of the tablet for me is the freehand strokes using the Pencil tool in my vector based software's.

Using the digital pencil tool is just like drawing on paper with a real pencil. takes a bit of practice to get used to after using a mouse for so long. Kind of a fish out of water feeling.

If you are painting, then the primary use would be the Brush tool for freehand brush strokes.

I don't have any tutorials as far as using a tablet because the majority of my use is all freehand sketching. I'm not as familiar with paint tools as I am vector tools, however in a vector atmosphere your main tools that are more useful with the tablet are::: Pen, Pencil, Vector Eraser, Vector Knife, & Line..... all the other tools & features seem to still be better off with the mouse.

My tablet allows me to use both the mouse & pen simultaneously, so I can switch back & forth with ease during a project.

As far as your software's go: Photoshop is mainly an image manipulation & paint software, so unless you are using the tablet to do digital paintings, I wouldn't advise it.

Fireworks is a nice bridging software that has a Very nice Paint / Vector tools combination. If you are looking to do more Vector work (E.G. logo, icon, sketching, mascot, caricature, etc..) I would highly suggest using it. Of course Adobe Illustrator, Corel CorelDraw, & Serif DrawPlus x2 are the better vector choices, but fireworks is fully capable of doing the job. :)

I suggest practicing using the pen tool first (which you may already be familiar with from photoshop). Once you get basic connections down to do fills, move on to the pencil tool (Freehand drawing). Just like the pen tool you can connect the ending points to create a solid & fill it.

At any rate, I'll stop here, I've never been very good at putting together tutorials, so all i can say in closing is::: Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

:)

scorpionagency, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  3. scorpionagency

scorpionagency Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    almost forgot, just so you can see what emoticons (Icons) turn out like using a graphics tablet, i did these a few days ago & posted them as free sets in the digitalpoints freebies section: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=981190

It will at least give you an idea of the possibilities. I still have a long way to go in perfecting my skill sets.

scorpionagency, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  4. lolkat

lolkat Peon

Best Answers:
    practice makes perfect. :p

lolkat, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  5. Audiomad

Audiomad Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks I guess pratice will go along way in helping me I am hoping to create small icons have done a few but are difficult to colour and add dept to.

Audiomad, Aug 15, 2008 IP