1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I need a content management system

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Jake Howard, May 24, 2009.

G'day everyone,

I have been informed that I need to get a "Content Management System" for my company's website, however not knowing anything about CMS, I am not sure where to start.

Overall I am quite happy with the website, particularly the structure and layout, however the management and updating side of things is a bit mundane, as everything has to be done manually using code and transferring files etc.

I was hoping to find a Content Management System that would allow me to keep the current layout of the site, but make updating it a lot easier.

Does anyone know where I should start?

The website in question is www.australianracingboard.com.au

Jake Howard, May 24, 2009 IP
  2. technista

technista Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't think a CMS would effect your layout and design much, unless you make effect your layout files. Really, its up to you in what you should use. Wikipedia has a list of them and what they can offer, I'd start will reading that.

Good luck!

technista, May 25, 2009 IP
  3. Beta9

Beta9 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well a cms is can very handy but also very unsafe. If you don't update them you'll find your self getting hacked. (phpfusion - don't use it).

Have a look at: opensourcecms.com :)

Beta9, May 25, 2009 IP
  4. Maramus

Maramus Peon

Best Answers:
    I teach a class on CMS installs. If you like I can send some information your way how to set one up. We can talk about what your needs are and what may work best for you.

Let me know?

Maramus, May 25, 2009 IP
  5. Shamanet

Shamanet Peon

Best Answers:
    You can check all those CMS but at last maybe you will finish with two or 3 final candidates Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress, why not you start searching about that 3 programs, I personally recommend Joomla but is your choice.

Shamanet, May 27, 2009 IP
  6. aap

aap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will suggest to try joomla and drupal in sub-directory and test theme. Once you start liking any CMS, make your main site on that CMS. I personally like Drupal.

aap, May 27, 2009 IP
  7. MakemeSmile

MakemeSmile Member

Best Answers:
    I had same question, replys are very good, thanks

MakemeSmile, May 27, 2009 IP
  8. that0n3guy

that0n3guy Peon

Best Answers:
    I recommend Drupal. I've used all the main opensource CMS's (wordpress, joomla, phpnuke, etc...) as well as a couple commercial ones (sharepoint, alfresco [kinda open source]) and come to realize that drupal is by far one of the best. I continually wins awards year after year and I have begun to use it almost exclusively.

If you looking for a site, I (as in, my company) does lots of drupal work. If you want, check out my site at:
    simplistechsolutions.com

-Peter

that0n3guy, May 27, 2009 IP
  9. that0n3guy

that0n3guy Peon

Best Answers:
    After looking at your site some more... I'm kind of amazed its not on a cms right now. I can see trying to organize that thing w/ html being a HUGE pain. I think a CMS will do you good.

that0n3guy, May 30, 2009 IP
  10. free3dart

free3dart Active Member

Best Answers:
    use joomla.

free3dart, May 30, 2009 IP
  11. pod

pod Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm with that0n3guy, a little dab of Drupal would do your site a lot of good. It is simple, straightforward and pretty easy to use, has good security features, and converting your existing design/layout to a Drupal theme shouldn't take more than a few hours.

HTH!

pod, May 31, 2009 IP
  12. Lorena

Lorena Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd recommend joomla or wordpress...joomla might suit you best but nowdays wordpress is more than just a blogging content manager platform...it can be customized so that it looks good but also is extremely easy to use (and ranks better in google searches for its great SEO).

Lorena, May 31, 2009 IP
  13. Rodder7

Rodder7 Active Member

Best Answers:
    im a joomla guy, but i can believe you have been running that site without a cms. use joomla or drupal. both are good.

Rodder7, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  14. c4cyber

c4cyber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As you have said yourself, that you have not much knowledge about cms. You need to find some Not-so-heavily featured cms, which you can handle easily. You can use any opensource cms, than have its design done, according to your requirements or you can have developed your site's admin panel for updating content etc.

c4cyber, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  15. joviedhy

joviedhy Peon

Best Answers:
    i recomended wordpress..it's easy and seo friendly

joviedhy, Jun 3, 2009 IP