1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I need help trying to get a news feed on my news website that shows full articles?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by ChristianC, Feb 9, 2011.

Hello, I sure hope there is someone out there that can help me, fast. I have set up a news website and currently I am writing all the content along with 3 writers I have hired. I have seen many other news websites and I have contacted their owners and they have told me that have set up an AUTOBLOG that gets feeds from many different news sources like Google, ABC, CNN, ESPN, and more that autopost on their website. I signed up and got some RSS feeds from CNN and ABC and installed them on my site. They post, but only 1 sentence and then a "read more of the story" button to click on taking my readers to another website where the full article was? Does anyone know how or can help me get this where I can have an autoblog with the news posting all by itself when breaking news happens? Many say its simple but I haven't figured it out yet and any help would be appreciated. I just need the full articles to show up.

Thanks

ChristianC, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  2. nirajkum

nirajkum Active Member

Best Answers:
    not sure but if they are the owner of the content ... and they only can decide how much content will be passed in feed ..... the user can just use the feed ... and this is the way most feed works ..

nirajkum, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  3. KimiGermany

KimiGermany Peon

Best Answers:
    As far as i know, IF they set up to "summary" on the feed, you can't get full article. If you try to, it means you attempt to steal someone's article. Be careful.

Nowadays, since autoblogs are everywhere, blogs set their RSS feed to be "short summary" and not full article, otherwise, you will copy exact content..

KimiGermany, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  4. ChristianC

ChristianC Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses. I downloaded and bought WP-Robot and it just shows 1 small sentence and a "click here" button that takes you straight to the other website. I am trying to keep my readers on my news site.

ChristianC, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  5. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    As already mentioned, if the RSS feed does not have the full text of the article, you are NOT going to get the full text. Just the summary.

In addition, you can not reprint copyrighted news articles in their entirety from notable sources like CNN, ABC, ESPN etc. There are also restrictions on using Google News feeds that you should also check.

BTW, buying WP-Robot was a waste of your money if you got misled into thinking that it would snatch entire news articles for you.

Here is another tip, there are a couple of decent Feed-to-Post plugins in the WordPress Plugin repository that does not cost you a dime. I use FeedPress for this purpose, but have one feed going into it. That feed comes from a Yahoo!Pipe that I set up to filter, rewrite, and recode the RSS before it gets to me. I scrape content from a variety of sources and feed types.

I do not use this system for auto-blogging however, if that is what you are thinking. I use it to feed a "news bar" similar to HootSuite at Ow.ly which displays the articles in a frame. My controller frame are custom post pages with short mini-articles (my rewrite in Pipes), keyword tagging, etc. These posts get auto-tweeted and attract a lot of traffic. There is room for mini-ads on the bar, and the bar slides down for full-sized ad placement.

Dodger, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  6. ChristianC

ChristianC Peon

Best Answers:
    Dodger, wow. Thanks for all of this info. The reason I am wanting this news feed set up is that I just saw 3 websites set up like that and they all are nice earners in adsense per month and are all on autoblog. I am looking for something that I do not have to sit and write all the news stories like I am doing now with 3 other writers.

How hard is it to set all of this up Ronnie? I am trying to make a steady source of income online but have been unable to figure it out so far. I think the traffic turns into revenue if its set up properly. I just can not figure out how to get traffic to my sites and I thought autoblog with links and tweets would help?

Thanks

7. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Setting up Pipes can be a little daunting. Took me a few days going thru public examples and the docs to get something working half-way correct. Another couple to fine tune. There is still a lot about it to learn.

The news bar didn't take long. But I was more in my element when it came to making a custom WP page and lifting code from other sources to use. That took me less than a day to do, and is now part of my library.

I have to rephrase it again, I am not using this for auto-blogging. It is part of a website that has regular blog posting going on all the time. It is there to capture related news items and give the readers an easy place to browse an aggregation of that news. The Twitter aspect helps feed the website's account, which is not fully auto-tweet stuff. The Twitter account is interacted by live people who actually respond to other people. Currently there are over 300 interactive followers with this account, and throw in the bogus 1200 or so followers on top of that and you have a healthy account.

The website has actual return visitors. While it does well in SERPs, there is nothing better than having loyal readership returning every day. An autoblog cannot get you that type of targeted audience. Google AdSense aside, this site supports paid ad space which can give you a whole lot more than your $2 or $3 a day for click traffic.

Dodger, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  8. ChristianC

ChristianC Peon

Best Answers:
    ok, I need to try to get all of this set up. Even if I rewrote the articles it would be easier than writing them from scratch. I also need to set up the auto tweet the articles to get traffic and readers.

9. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Since you got the WP-robot, just set it to not publish. Go to the article site, write a brief summary of the article in your own words into the draft post. Then use the plugin WP-to-Twitter, which will auto tweet for you when publish the post (does the short url too).

If you want something special, PM me, and maybe we can work something out. I am kind of free right now, but it varies from day to day.

Dodger, Feb 10, 2011 IP