1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I need some advice on what my next project will be

Discussion in 'General Business' started by majin22, May 4, 2010.

I am a full time web developer @ oDesk and I have 2 regular clients but I want to increase my web businesses for possible future incomes.

Me and my wife are maintaining a blog and I also setup 5 autoblogs as a placeholder for the domains that I am selling but I know those aren't very profitable until they grow old and gain more traffic and PR

My options are:

1. My own directory site where I will program by myself to have a possibility where I can sell the script for the future. I have read the posts about directory sites and I understand it will take years to really earn from this but it might be a good business opportunity if done right.

2. A twitter management site where users can easily manage their followers and people they follow ( Mass Unfollow, Unfollow People who don't follow you, etc). I know there are some out there but they can still be improved to be more user friendly and I believe I have the skills to do just that

3. A script that allows webmasters to redirect visitors to different pages depending on their IP address. For example, I am selling 5 different products so I want visitors from the US will be redirected to page A (or site A), UK visitors will be redirected to site B, etc. There will also be an option for the referrer to be hidden on the landing page in case you are directing your visitor to different sites. There will be backend functions to setup the landing pages, show reports, etc.

I don't have the time to accomplish everything so I am hoping to get some feedback on what business opportunity you think is best.

Thanks in advance to all members who will share their opinion.

Thanks.

majin22, May 4, 2010 IP
  2. majin22

majin22 Peon

Best Answers:
    is no one willing to share their 2 cents to help me decide?

majin22, May 4, 2010 IP
  3. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not really a year to earn.
    What important is you need to have a high PR domain so that you can sell link at your directory.

mentos, May 5, 2010 IP
  4. majin22

majin22 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your opinion mentos, I am considering another script at the moment which takes less time to program.

It is a script that will show different ads depending on your visitor's IP address. This idea came to me because of the affiliate site called peerfly where they have a lot of offers but mostly for US/Canada residents and the reason why I don't show their ads is because I don't like having my visitors from Asia/Philippines to keep clicking on these ads and just reading the message 'This offer is only for XX country'

Does anyone think this idea is good or not? I tried doing a quick search and I don't think there is something similar like this on the net or is there?

Thanks.

majin22, May 5, 2010 IP
  5. JHybrid

JHybrid Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the Twitter concept but you can no longer mass unfollow according to Twitter's TOS. But what you could do is create something like a drip unfollow that will slowly unfollow people over a longer period of time. So if people wanted to unfollow people that are not following them back, they can use that feature to unfollow those people (say 2,000 of them) in a week. That way it will look like a human is doing it so you won't get banned.

JHybrid, May 25, 2010 IP
  6. gjuro

gjuro Member

Best Answers:
    Idea no3 is good one.
    there are affiliates for Europe and for USA. So with your script the web masters can benefit from both areas. It will double their income so it will be useful. So they will like to buy it.

gjuro, May 26, 2010 IP
  7. remati

remati Peon

Best Answers:
    How good are you in PHP?

remati, May 26, 2010 IP
  8. cosminx2003

cosminx2003 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the third one would be fine with some proper advertising, i've never seen a website like that and it might be useful, the other two ideas are garbage, there are a lot out there.

cosminx2003, May 27, 2010 IP
  9. keela

keela Peon

Best Answers:
    The last idea sounds useful. About the twitter one, like the others have said, there are several out there but you could try a new approach, or try adding something different. Twitter is really popular right now, so it's a good time to try those kinds of things. Who knows :p:

keela, May 27, 2010 IP
  10. bnwebm123

bnwebm123 Peon

Best Answers:
    This already exists, i've seen it in many different versions (php, etc.). If you made a new one, perhaps adding a gui to make it easier to use?

3. A script that allows webmasters to redirect visitors to different pages depending on their IP address. For example, I am selling 5 different products so I want visitors from the US will be redirected to page A (or site A), UK visitors will be redirected to site B, etc. There will also be an option for the referrer to be hidden on the landing page in case you are directing your visitor to different sites. There will be backend functions to setup the landing pages, show reports, etc.

bnwebm123, May 27, 2010 IP