1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If it were for sale how much would Digital Point be worth?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by chant, Apr 25, 2010.

We all know about Flippa where you can go to buy and sell websites, as well as other places. The valuation of a site is a hard number to come up with and I know that it really comes down to how much someone is willing to pay for the site. But if a big and popular website like Digital Point were to come on the market, how much would it sell for? Has there been any other online marketing/SEO webmaster sites like DP that have sold before, and if so, how recently?

If I had to estimate the value of DP I would guess at least $100,000. I have no idea how much this site generates in revenue a year for its owners. My guess is based solely on traffic, visibility and positioning within the webmaster marketplace. $100k might even be too low but I wouldn't say over $250k unless someone can provide similar examples to sites like DP that have fetched that kind of money.

chant, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  2. ceaseer

ceaseer Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow! 12.18 mil according to a domain value site I use. DP has an alexa rank of 189

Site Value Report
    The estimated value of http://digitalpoint.com is: $12,180,000

This value is calculated based on several factors shown above, including: Links, Traffic (Alexa), age of the domain, site category, domain keyword popularity, and overall occurrences of the domain name on the web.

ceaseer, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  3. ILiketohelp

ILiketohelp Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm gonna say it's a lot more than $100,000 . I'm guessing they make that a year on adsense?

ILiketohelp, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  4. SiL^Er_HunTeR

SiL^Er_HunTeR Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm sure it's worth at the very least $500,000, at the very least. A realistic # a domain buyer would probably pay is between $1-$3 Million

SiL^Er_HunTeR, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  5. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where do you draw those estimates from? Is it best guesses or are you using past sales of similar websites as reference?

chant, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  6. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Point would be well over 500,000 bucks i am guessing. Besides this forum, look at the official homepage. I am sure Shawn is making money from the services on there so that revenue comes into play also. The est. adsense revenue we have no clue to those numbers but this forum recieves a huge amount of page views each day. There is a paid membership here and no one know's how many people are using that. Factor that number in along with the traffic stat's from the forum....etc

Basically he can make a shit load of money but shawn would never get rid of Digital Point. This just my 2 cents and remember to tip your waitress.

snakeair, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  7. niceilike

niceilike Active Member

Best Answers:
    Like any other site it would a multiple of revenue but DP would get a premium for the 'brand' since so many webmasters would recognize it.

I'm guessing $100,000 is way too low! However, $1-$3 million is a bit out there as well.

niceilike, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  8. BlueSkyCamping

BlueSkyCamping Peon

Best Answers:
    It's an interesting question! Looks to me like it might well be valued at a few hundred thousand US dollars.

BlueSkyCamping, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  9. invisibler

invisibler Member

Best Answers:
    It is $1 million! I bet $1 million, because DP has tons of members.

invisibler, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  10. RA786

RA786 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm new here but looks like a very active forum with plenty of members.

It'll be worth a fair crack but really what does it matter to us? We should be concerned about what are businesses are worth and the revenues it produces.

RA

RA786, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  11. Hendracahyana

Hendracahyana Member

Best Answers:
    with alexa rank below 200, DP would be the most visited forums I know, approaching the value of $500,000

Hendracahyana, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  12. manofwar

manofwar Active Member

Best Answers:
    While this is an empty thread, it does raise some good questions. IMO, the real value of DP (considering current and future growth) is likely to be over 1mil USD (NOT even close to 100k!)

manofwar, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  13. Chri

Chri Active Member

Best Answers:
    well 1 million or 2 or 3 , DP always remains to provide the best answers a person can get and the best user discussion one can expect from a online community

Chri, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  14. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What people think DP is worth and what someone is actually prepered to pay for it are 2 differant things,you can guess as much as you like and consult these website valuation sites but i bet everyone will be wide of the mark.

As no one has all the full details of how much revenue the site earns and the full monthly outlay on server expense etc only the owner of the site will have a good indication on how much he would like to get for it,in the current economic climate i would say it would be well down from its heyday a few years back.

I bet you will see valuations from $100k to multi million pound price tags.

Mega B, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  15. socialmediapro

socialmediapro Peon

Best Answers:
    Any guess on DP's worth would be a wild guess! Alexa rank is a poor indicator of a site's actual worth unless the site is only making money off ads on the raw views/visitors. The thing to consider also would be how much is DP making in terms of its premium subscriptions, other paid services, etc. in addition to the ad revenues.

socialmediapro, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  16. Waterfield

Waterfield Peon

Best Answers:
    www-johnchow-com/the-internets-biggest-google-whores - bottom of the article.

This was made back in 2006. I'm surprised you guys don't even know the guys name...

Assuming a high end website should be worth at least 3 years worth of profit, as a rule of thumb, this site is at least a million dollars. AT LEAST.

Regards,

Phil.

PS. change - for .

Waterfield, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  17. ronmac

ronmac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $100 k lol

5 - 10 milllon more like.

no other forum touches this on in terms of traffic

ronmac, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  18. itsupportservice

itsupportservice Peon

Best Answers:
    I got great information... Ideas.. & Judgments from this thread... Thanks for providing that...!!

itsupportservice, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  19. tjsocr22

tjsocr22 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well its a really high traffic site with a ton of active users so I would guess its anywhere between $7-$10 million.

tjsocr22, May 2, 2010 IP
  20. peoplesmind

peoplesmind Active Member

Best Answers:
    I saw a post by DigitalPoint (the user, not the forums) a few weeks ago where he stated that there were roughly $3m-$4m products on the marketplace at any given time (excluding those that don't use the official pricing system and just post a price in thread).

Given the marketplace, the high-end products on digitalpoint.com (software for ISP management, DNS Servers on Macs, etc.), along with the added value of a member base of 13m+ in a targeted niche, I'd easily estimate the value to be much higher than $5-$10m.

peoplesmind, May 2, 2010 IP