1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If you knew now what you didnt know then

Discussion in 'General Business' started by saus, Jan 31, 2012.

Hello,
    As of yet i havnt started on any sort of online business but i want to.So can i ask for all you experienced people,how did you start,what way would you advise to go if you were starting now but with the experience you have now rather than when you started ie,building websites,buying websites,something else.

I hope thats understandable,many thanks.

saus, Jan 31, 2012 IP
  2. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Create or buy websites on topics that interest you. Make sure whatever web hosting you decide to use has cPanel for its control panel. When I started out six years ago I went with a host that had plesk for a hosting control panel and found it to be very limiting.

micksss, Jan 31, 2012 IP
  3. saus

saus Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks mate,can i ask would you still get into it today.I have had that said to me about doing topics of interest which makes sense,my problem is my interests are fairly limiting in the fact its a very flooded market (arnt they all i suppose) and ive been told not to friendly with google.

saus, Jan 31, 2012 IP
  4. daddy03

daddy03 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can always find a niche. The internet is an expanding universe. Read Google adsense and webmaster terms of service so you know what to avoid.
    Buying sites can be very good but you need to know what you are buying so you don't get burned. There are plenty of snake oil dealers out there. A friend of mine has bought a number of sites and now has over 10k a month in passive income.

Here are a few tips:

Take a conservative approach and don't expect to get rich overnight.
    One of the biggest mistakes people make is losing focus and trying all sorts of different things. Find something you like and have the patience to see it through. Set a goal. $1 a day is a good place to start. Learn how to get there, then reach higher. You will find out if it is for you without spending a lot of money.
    Do not buy every tool that sounds great. Most of them are either freely available anyway or you will end up not using them.

Best of luck

daddy03, Jan 31, 2012 IP
  5. saus

saus Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats great advise thanks mate.I realise this wont make me rich overnight and as you have said £1 a day (in my case)to start would be great i would certainly settle for that.Its now finding the correct sites to purchase,that seems to be the difficult part by all accounts.I would love to know how your friend started.Thanks again mate.

saus, Jan 31, 2012 IP
  6. Dee2007

Dee2007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You said buying sites/building site:

As a designer if I could give one piece of advise to a new designer just starting out it would be get yourself a contract drawn up. It doesn't have to be so complicated that a client needs a lawyer to understand it ;) but it should clearly state the project details and what both you and the client agree to. A lot of designers (myself included) learn't the importance of a contract the hard way, after getting ripped off!

If design is not your area, then I would say whatever you decide to do make sure it is something you have a real interest/passion for, this way you are likely to stick with it, because as already mentioned success doen't happen overnight and can take a lot of time, effort and patience. I would also spend sometime thinking about the skills you have and the type of business that could best allow you to utilise these skills.

All the best

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    Dee2007, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  7. saus

saus Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks mate,some more good advise.That seems to be most peoples opinion of finding something you are interested in.There seems so many different things you can get into its not easy choosing what way to go.

saus, Feb 10, 2012 IP