1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If you would create a professional review website

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by draxima, Oct 23, 2009.

Hello

If you owned the domain reviews.com and you wanted to create a professional review website what script would you base that site on ?

I searched for review scripts, but none of the sites on first page is good, maybe I have missed some.

Just looking for advice and intelligent inputs.

draxima, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  2. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Being a long-time Joomla user, I'd have to say... WordPress. :)

Seriously, WordPress wins it hands down for review sites. So many choices. You can either use the professional WordPress review options WordPress Review Engine (http://www.wpreviewengine.com/) or WordPress Review Site (http://www.wpreviewsite.com/), just do a search here and you should find both discussed at length. OR, you could pick a free theme (WordPress just kicks everyone's butt in the quality themes department) and use a free tool called GD Star Rating which accomplishes pretty much what the paid review solutions do. You can read about it here:

http://www.gdstarrating.com/

Joomla has only one review solution, and it ain't free (in fact, VERY expensive).

Of all the open source CMS I've seen thus far, WordPress appears to be the only one with serious review options. For what you really want, I do believe Wordpress is your best bet.

Bratzilla, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  3. draxima

draxima Active Member

Best Answers:
    Really love your input :)

So the joomla component you mean jreviews ? The one for $119.99.

At this moment I rather pay 120 for something really good than free and less good.

But what would you do, if 120 was only pocketchange for you would you pick the joomla scenario instead or still go for wordpress ?

I will closely check what the wordpress review addons can do as soon as possible.

Wordpress is still very easy to use, fast and google loves it.

draxima, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  4. draxima

draxima Active Member

Best Answers:
    I couldnt wait to check it out....

This one seems to be more complex than the other WP choice.
    wpreviewsite.com

Maybe to easy and limited for what I want to do.
    wpreviewengine.com

But both of these costs almost as much as the joomla version. Did you really mean jreviews as the joomla review component ?

Going to have a longer look at them tomorrow.

draxima, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  5. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry about the delayed response... crazy day.

JReviews (the Joomla extension) is an incredible product, do not get me wrong! I myself am blown away by the options. In fact, there's almost too much you can do with it.

People who have used it extensively have sung its praises. For my purposes, it was overkill, but you are doing a full blown professional review site, so your needs are quite different. It would not hurt you to get the trial version and play with it for a bit. Nothing like actually testing a product to tell you what it's really like, and whether it'll suit you.

Regarding WordPress, you can do a search here on the forums as I have read quite lengthy discussions here about the two professional WordPress plugins I listed earlier. Some folks give very detailed reviews.

Also, don't rule out GD Star Rating. Yes, it's free, but that doesn't automatically render it unqualified. Coupled with the right theme, this could work for you.

Speaking of themes...

ThemeForest has a rating and review theme here:
    http://themeforest.net/item/reviewit-a-reviews-theme/60232

As described at the site:

WordPress has far more options, and considering that reviews are your focus, you should carefully pick your solution. Again, no disrespect to JReviews, and I truly believe you CANNOT go wrong with that as your choice either.

What will ultimately help you decide is the other and/or future functionality of your site. Do you anticipate a lot of user interaction, or will this be a review site where you or your staff primarily provide input? Your overall feature bundle will help determine which platform is the best for your project.

Bratzilla, Oct 23, 2009 IP