1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm looking for a very minimalist, bare-bones forum software.

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Starving SEO, Jul 21, 2009.

Hello,

I am looking for a forum software that will allow me to create a very simplistic forum. The main requirement, however, is that the software support post slug style permalinks (i.e. domain.com/forum/post-title).

I am currently using SMF with the Pretty URLs Mod and a simple theme, but would like something even more barebones. bbpress doesn't work for me, because it's permalink structure isn't quite simple enough.

I'll appreciate any tips. Thanks for looking.

Starving SEO, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  2. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Quick question - are you looking for a "standalone" system or are you planning on using your forum with a CMS (such as WordPress)?

MyBB, PunBB and MiniBB are supposed to be VERY lightweight and without a lot of the features (or bloat, depending on your POV) of the other larger forums. However, you may need to tweak these to get exactly what you want.

If you haven't already, take a look at opensourcecms to see what is currently well rated. Here is the direct link to the forums listing:
    http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?catid=5&cat=Forums

If nothing else, this will show you a pretty decent list of forums to evaluate.

Bratzilla, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  3. 77market

77market Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I like moveable type.

77market, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    http://getvanilla.com/ that stuff kicks some serious ass :) I don't recall if you want comes out of the box but there is a plugin for it if need be.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  5. TheDataPlanet.com

TheDataPlanet.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Vanilla is definitely one of the best. It's simple yet engaging enough as a community.

You may also consider bbPress.

TheDataPlanet.com, Jul 21, 2009 IP