1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Internet Explorer 7 news

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by davedx, Mar 16, 2005.

Read this today on slashdot: IE7 Details Emerge

IE7's new features will include:

32-bit PNG support! (Like Firefox!)
    Tabbed browsing! (er...)
    Increased focus on security (cough)

Apparently MS will be continuing their "some standards compliance" policy with IE7, supporting a subset of CSS2:

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere else, couldn't really find anywhere it fit in...

davedx, Mar 16, 2005 IP
  2. qscomputing

qscomputing Peon

Best Answers:
    So it seems that M$ is starting to take note, but they've "forgotten" the biggest "selling [sic?] point" of all software:

GPL.

qscomputing, Mar 16, 2005 IP
  3. hanyixin

hanyixin Peon

Best Answers:
    I love Microsoft's products :)

hanyixin, Mar 16, 2005 IP
  4. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Good grief, why don't M$ just quit "wavering" and go the whole hog and support standards? What IS their f'ing problem? :mad:

If they don't do it then they'll fully deserve any tags of "arrogant" and "blinkered" that people throw at them.

Long live FireFox :)

Lever, Mar 16, 2005 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Too right.

Although it would be nice to have a "usable" browser from MS, why is it that they seem to be incapable of following standards.

T0553rs... The lot of 'em...

Stuff like this really pisses me off because I'm now the poor bastard that has another browser to develop for (Along with any other good developer).

SEbasic, Mar 16, 2005 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  6. hanyixin

hanyixin Peon

Best Answers:
    I attempted to use FireFox ever. But many sites can not be displayed correctly when I use FireFox. I have to use IE again.

hanyixin, Mar 16, 2005 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  7. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Therein lies our problem, hanyixin :)

Why should site builders work with standards compliance only for a very "popular" piece of "broken" software to make us have to undo good work :confused:

The common denominator is standards compliance - M$ are aware of this but have so far been incapable/ unable to do anything about it - why? There is no logical reason unless they have some other agenda...

Didn't the very first print edition of Bill Gates' biography fail to mention the word "Internet" and talk about the Microsoft Network instead? If that's true then there seem to be some parallels here...

Lever, Mar 16, 2005 IP
  8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Don't be fooled by M$ folks, their entire goal is to get everyone to use IE and force webmasters to design pages only for that piece of crap OS of theirs. :eek:

All webmasters should push open source and web standards and abandon M$ because it is in YOUR best interest to do so. :eek:

anthonycea, Mar 16, 2005 IP
  9. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    IMO IE exists only to check what pages look like on 73.8% of my visitors screens. The smaller that number gets, the better.

If IE were compliant then that would remove the hassle of compatibility checks and allow us to get on with other more important things.

Unfortunately IT depts in businesses still seem to be using IE - a seemingly steady 94% this year so far, though down from 96.5% for the whole of last year.

Lever, Mar 16, 2005 IP
  10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Linux and open source is the future.

Everyone try:

www.mepis.com

If you wish to see a great Linux OS, subscribe and they will send you the Simply Mephis 3.3 CD, install it on any box you are not using and you will be able to learn the difference.

They also have a forum over there so everyone can learn more.

11. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    Acording to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp -- Firefox is continuing to take over an extra 1%+ of the marketshare each month :) In a year or two, Firefox will rule the world :D mwahahaha

IE is currently at a mere 67.9%! Thats just awesome :D

Josh

Josh, Mar 16, 2005 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Josh for President 2008, no Hillary, no Condi Rice (Bush arse kisser) :p :eek: :p

13. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    Heh, my age just might be a small problem there ;)

I wonder what web browser Bush uses..

Josh

Josh, Mar 16, 2005 IP
  14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I think it is the Halliburton Browser, it takes all bribes and stops at all sites that rob people of money and that suck the life out of the poor :p :eek: :p

PS: at your age you have more wisdom than the current leaders :cool:

15. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Nice one, Josh, that is good news :D

Haha, just think; in 68 months time IE will no longer exist :confused: :p j/k

Oh, and do you think Bush actually goes on the 'net? I wasn't sure if he'd mastered his Speak & Spell yet...

Anthony's Haliburton Browser sounds mean...

Lever, Mar 16, 2005 IP
  16. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    Where else do you think he got the idea that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction? :p

Josh

Josh, Mar 16, 2005 IP
  17. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't understand this public phenomenon - commonly-shared hatred for MS. FF doesn't follow some standards as well. Take <colgroup> as an example. In IE, it is possible to format columns by applying CSS to column groups:

<colgroup><col style="color: red;"></colgroup>

It greatly simplifies HTML and is in the HTML spec for a long time. However, IE's the only one that follows the spec on this. Take printing as another example - IE handles the CSS print media far better than FF and produces better printouts.

You also have to realize that some security vulnerabilities in IE are there not because of poor coding, but because historically some of the features were considered great at the time (like running ActiveX controls on the page) and people didn't think of these features being misused the way they are.

Security is a global problem, really. Take many Internet standards for example - who's running finger now? Who's publishing HINFO (host info) RR's in the DNS? Remember Y2K? Heck, look at TCP/IP - who would've thought 20 years ago that somebody would predict 32-bit sequence numbers and hijack TCP connections? The list goes on.

I would like to ask anybody who replies to this to refrain from emotional responses that just bash MS or any other company. I appreciate a good argument, but really don't care for hysteria towards any company.

J.D.

J.D., Mar 16, 2005 IP
  18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    JD you know I have great respect for you and your knowledge :eek:

But you also must understand that if you support flawed technology that you will have folks that do not agree with you.

Look at this results of the following search and tell me that we are emotional and filled with hate.

http://vivisimo.com/search?v%3Asources=Web&query=IE+flaws+patches&x=43&y=21

I just lost the use of a hard drive with about 3 years of work on it because of M$ flaws and SP2/anti-spyware that eats Hard Drives for lunch.

Don't defend technology that does not have data security as a priority, M$ technology has cost business and consumers over 50 Billion Dollars in lost productivity and data just in the last year. What about my mother who just wants to get online, she bought a box with ME on it and I had to install spyware software and teach her how to use it to stay online, should computer users have to be security experts to go online :confused:

There should be a revolt against them and class action lawsuit filed for defective product marketing.

19. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Your knowledge and points are both much respected and appreciated JD, but don't confuse my qualified dislike of IE for either hatred or hysteria. :)

OK, so FireFox isn't 100% perfect, but by that mark, IE must be nuch further down the scale. I haven't had to hack anything to make it work in FF but have had to do so in IE.

So why is there a reported "dithering" over whether to make IE compliant or not? In my mind the choice is clear :)

Lever, Mar 16, 2005 IP
  20. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Good post, man :)

I'm not saying any of this in support of MS or IE - simply trying to stay objective. Many people believe that if they start using FF, they will immediately become immune to any problems and eventually pick something up. It's like driving in winter and seeing all these SUV's in the ditch - sure they are equipped better for driving in winter, but they still don't stick to ice :)

Personally, I'm running FF as a default browser with most features (Java, Flash, etc) disabled and I flip JS on and off constantly, depending on the site I'm visiting. It's much easier to do this in FF than in any other browser.

J.D.

J.D., Mar 16, 2005 IP