1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Digg Traffic Over-rated?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Ascendancy, May 21, 2009.

I have been spending a lot of time trying to hit the front page of Digg, but I'm not sure that once it happens all of the traffic will be worth it. Is hitting the front page of digg ever worth all of the traffic you get?

Ascendancy, May 21, 2009 IP
  2. ILiketohelp

ILiketohelp Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm guessing it's not that bad of traffic.

I've never been able to reach the front page of Digg...any success stories?

ILiketohelp, May 21, 2009 IP
  3. daremkd

daremkd Peon

Best Answers:
    your server will break ur hosting will expell u lol AKA the digg effect

even a dedicated server with 4gb ram can break lol ..i know

you need a lot of precautionary matters installed and done to keep ur site safe

after that it might not prove worth it to you

if ur doing it for adsense money u can reap maybe a hundred bucks which will be worth it if you can repeat it many times

the real value is the links you can get to your site - but due to the new diggbar even this will be limitet as your site is framed and ur site url is not displayed in adress bar in a number of instances but the digg bar url

To add: if u can get fp 3 times in a week or 2 for ur new site you will be coming to authority with alexa 30k hundreds if not thousands of backlinks - i got over 7k Good editorial link in a 2 week period but it costs a lot of time AND your Content MUST be top of the Notch quality

You have to be the best ot be extremely savvy and sneaky to get to DIgg fp no short cuts here unless ur already connected as I am

having a list of 700+ diggers and redditers and Su people ^^

if ur site is all linkbait and hype that appeals to this audience and u know how to do it ..repeatedly then ur in business otherwise it will be costly and a big pain

besides the fact that the process to get Fp is also a pain if ur not connected

daremkd, May 21, 2009 IP
  4. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hah yeah it has proven to be quite a pain, but by the sounds of it if my web server can handle the traffic I'd be all good. Sounds awesome, thanks for the tips!

Ascendancy, May 21, 2009 IP
  5. StevieHawk

StevieHawk Peon

Best Answers:
    Digg stuff usually ranks pretty well in google as well. I have not had a huge amount of traffic from Digg but that is because I only used it to help build backlinks and to claim an extra spot in the top pages of google.

If you want to get on the first page then you should appeal to the the Digg audience. They seem to be quite geeky and I noticed that a lot of top stories are technology related. It could be great for you to get on the front page depending on your niche.

BTW if you do have problems with your server you could just set up an account with Blogger or Wordpress.

StevieHawk, May 23, 2009 IP
  6. SidianMSJones

SidianMSJones Peon

Best Answers:
    Logoboy is right. It's mostly only worth it for backlinks.

SidianMSJones, May 23, 2009 IP
  7. jonathanfigaro

jonathanfigaro Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, its ok.....but only for the backlink!

jonathanfigaro, May 23, 2009 IP
  8. dairyman

dairyman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The famous digg effect will only bleach your bandwidth and crash the servers but think in terms of quality of traffic. Is it targeted or do any worthwhile conversions? The answer is no! Never try to get into the first page of digg but try to find a berth in the top ten of google SERP for a competitive keyword. That is worth the salt :D

dairyman, May 23, 2009 IP
  9. UIS4821

UIS4821 Peon

Best Answers:
    All traffic is good traffic. Now, will you get clicks from Digg traffic? Probably more than you would if you never hit the front page.

UIS4821, May 23, 2009 IP
  10. PadPaws

PadPaws Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's worth it to hit the front page, despite the amount of problems is can cause with a server. But it's got to be a give and take; long-term, Digg isn't brilliant for exposure and continual income. Like someone else said, getting popularity with a search engine is far more effective as Digg is very "of the moment".

The dream, of course, is to have something that does both - Digg and search engines. But trying to work specifically for Digg, and if you're on a small-ish server, can be something of a waste of time. Backlinks are worth it, but again, it depends on how much time you're putting into it. It can cause more problems than it's worth.

PadPaws, May 23, 2009 IP
  11. upshurcreative

upshurcreative Guest

Best Answers:
    Digg is a very useful site for generating traffic to your sites or blogs...IF YOU HAVE GOOD CONTENT.

upshurcreative, May 24, 2009 IP
  12. henrychai

henrychai Peon

Best Answers:
    ic.. cool... i think i should get myself a digg account

henrychai, May 24, 2009 IP
  13. edynamite

edynamite Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am a power user of Digg, And trust me , It sends me like 50K uniques a week minimum..I tried offering Digg Front Page Service on Digg, But it is not allowed here so I couldn't..

edynamite, Jun 14, 2009 IP
  14. Jeremy Morgan

Jeremy Morgan Peon

Best Answers:
    Getting on the front page of Digg will melt your server, but for the most part after a week, your site will be exactly where it was before. The visitors from Digg are usually one hit wonders, my guess is 1-5% of those users will come back to your site again.

That being said, if you can get good results multiple times for digg it can end up well for your website. Just my two pennies.

Jeremy Morgan, Jun 14, 2009 IP
  15. diver

diver Member

Best Answers:
    If you have a story that is worthy and you do the right due diligence. you can get to page one Digg. Normally though, those will be lookers and not necessarily buyers... You might consider building a list, and as others have said... make certain your server can handle the load.

diver, Jun 14, 2009 IP