1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is It Hard To Find A Graphic Design Intern Or Assistant Job?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by AlphanetChrisC, Jan 25, 2009.

Hi I live in Los angeles and I'm a graphic designer. I've been looking for a graphic design assistant job or even an internship for the last 6 months but I can never find anything. A lot of the jobs require that you know flash and dreamweaver but I only know Illustrator and Photoshop. Does anyone have any advice or info they can share to help me?

AlphanetChrisC, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  2. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    smashingmagazine.com > jobs > freelance > design

elance.com

freelanceswitch (pay for it, but good listings)

My advice, now take it for what it's worth, just one guy who's new to this whole thing.

Find a stable non-design job that pays rent. Restaurant, retail, something easy enough.

Then freelance here and there to augment income, keep your skills up, and build a dynamite portfolio.

Look for a job, and if it takes a year, if it takes 2 you're still okay, you're still designing, and you're still living nicely. That's my plan, and I have enough faith in it that I'm willing to bet the next 3 years of my life on it.

Just today, I got a call from a designer-friend who is looking for my skills for a major project he's bid on - all I had to do was help him fix his computer one time in the past and he's thinking of me. Never underestimate your networking skills, or your network of friends. I don't consider this my strong point either, but it's already at work for me.

If you have a twitter, facebook or other social networking account, harness it - let it be known that you're looking for a job - maybe that friend of a friend can see it and refer you to somebody - sometihng that you'd never tell that person about otherwise.

Anyway, I wish this post was more structured, I hope it helps none the less. Good luck to you, I hope you find stable work sooner than you hope :)

innovati, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  3. wad3

wad3 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would probably learn flash and dreamweaver, the try again.

wad3, Jan 26, 2009 IP