1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is management disconnected from reality?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Drachsi, Nov 18, 2011.

Over a number of years I have been in contact with many companies. There seems to be a sense of apathy when discussing the companies website, or the brand with senior management or even with small company owners. Usually the message is, talk to the Tech guy's, or sorry I don't know anything about the website. What would make senior management become interested?

Drachsi

Drachsi, Nov 18, 2011 IP
  2. hostgladiator

hostgladiator Peon

Best Answers:
    Senior managers are generally focused on what makes the company money and how they can get the best return for their money. So explain to them how a well designed website can help with their bottom dollar etc. etc.

hostgladiator, Nov 18, 2011 IP
  3. Drachsi

Drachsi Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Most people recognise a good looking website, the fonts, the Flash presentation, great images, etc., but what is important are all the small things that should be done to build the number of visitors to a site. There is much more than just SEO of the site. Social networking is vital, building visitor resources etc. A large company has the staff, but the smaller company is more limited. To give an example of the different types of social networking, see, business networking. This type of activity is not normally a priority for management, or even of interest.

Drachsi

Drachsi, Nov 18, 2011 IP
  4. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are 2 types of managers , those who aren't interested and those who make you change a details 1000 times because a friend said it's better this way or that way or because they saw a pony . Frankly I'm more happy with the guys who leave me alone to do my job , not the clients that insists that I use Flash and then tell me the website (which is almost completed) is not working on their iPhone (despite a big warning on the contract and a few warnings during the conferences) .

ApocalypseXL, Nov 18, 2011 IP
  5. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    To be honest if you are senior manager of a medium size company you will have way bigger problems besides the website of the company. This is the reason why they are hiring a tech guy as you called him. So there is nothing bad about them telling you to talk to the guy responsible.

I think you should be happy as this means your work is not as bad that they feel they need to interfer ;) Maybe you can try to talk them into it but this is a waste of time. The ones that should be interested are the marketing guys as well as the one responsible for running the website (might be the same person responsible)

To be successfull as a manager you need to focus on the really important parts of the business of your company and I doubt the website is a key factor for most companies even though I agree with you most of the websites need quite alot work to get them up to date.

Sensei.Design, Nov 19, 2011 IP