1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is my site sellable? What could I do to make it more sellable?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by God_is_faithful, Feb 11, 2011.

This is my site which I can't see myself being able to maintain. I'm thinking of selling it so I'm wondering, do you think it is sellable? Also, what else could I do to make it more sellable? The site is BaseballBlogs.net

[​IMG]

It's a Baseball site which has the same format as the successful worldcupblog.org , basically there is a section for every single team, so it's not a small 1-team niche. It is for every MLB team as well as the newly formed Australian Baseball League. You can have separate authors controlling each team and admins who control everything.

Every team has their own subdomain.

Info:
    Content: 100% unique and passes copyscape 100% (Only the menu shows up, which is a list of all MLB teams)
    Alexa: ~985,000
    PR: 0
    Monetization: Adsense adds are sitewide. Recently I also finished making the "Baseball Shop" which is stocked full of Baseball products from ClickBank, easy to add more products as you find them on Clickbank.

The site has it's own Twitter account ( twitter.com/BBblogs ) and Youtube account ( youtube.com/user/officialbbblogs ), and they're included with the site of course.

So far I have not payed for any advertising. All the visitors come through from search engines or twitter. I imagine as the MLB starts up the traffic will grow of course.

So whatcha think? Is there any chance someone would buy this type of site? If not what could I do to make it more valuable?

Thanks and God bless

God_is_faithful, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  2. jobic

jobic Peon

Best Answers:
    Your menu is kind of funnily centered to the right, don't know why though, it seems a bit off :D

I don't know what your plan is with this blog, but if I was going to put something up like this, I'd give every team their own subdomain like you did, provide the visitors with information, like who's on the team doing what. Maybe even tell them where they came from. Give every player their own page as well with brief history or accomplishments of what they did and maybe some photos/videos of them if you can find them (check for copyright!) and you can add which games which team has played with who won behind it. And make that a link to the blog post where you have a summary of what happened during the game.

You can also have a tips/techniques section where you teach them the basics of baseball and some easy tips they can use to get better. Maybe some drills as well, with video etc included (which you can make yourself and upload to youtube etc for potential visitors to your website, waterproof the videos with your url!) You could sell those clickbank products there if you wanted to and the baseball shop might be better if you had an amazon shop there, where they can view actual baseball items instead of a few books.

Go to cj.com and see if there are any baseball supplies shops that have an affliate program you can promote.

You may even want to add a forum where fans can discuss their favorite sport and you could offer advertising eventually, not like adsense but real ads and when your site hits off you could potentially get a decent amount of traffic to it.

But if you're keen to sell it as it is. you can always try and with a bit of luck you might get something for it, maybe find a fan who's willing to pay for it. Some baseball fans have money to spend and might even pay you a few thousands, but maybe you'll never find anyone like this.

The site does have potential though :)

jobic, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  3. Steve Marino

Steve Marino Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not awfully sellable - if I wanted a baseball blog, I'd start my own for free rather than pay for an existing one. There doesn't appear to be much SEO work done, there are no advertisers, little traffic and it's a site that needs constant updating to keep current. You're a lot better off improving the site if you want to earn anything from a sale.

Steve Marino, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  4. God_is_faithful

God_is_faithful Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey thanks for your tips! Yes a forum is a great idea, as far as adding a section for every player, that is a great idea too however I'm not sure if I could implement all of that lol! The forum idea I could do though.

Also I like the idea of having affiliate baseball products instead of just eBooks.. that an excellent idea as they are what people are more likely to wanna buy.

Also the Baseball tips/tactics videos: That's a great idea cos the site does have a Youtube channel. I mean it's baseball so it doesn't have to be 'limited', might as well open it up to as many facets of the sport as possible.

Thanks!

God_is_faithful, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  5. jobic

jobic Peon

Best Answers:
    ^^^ Exactly, with a site like this you'll want to be sort of a onestopshop where they can find almost everything their little baseballfanatic hearts desire.
    If you're thinking about developing this website instead of selling it on, your site could become quite valuable if you can devote yourself to it.

Oh and you know what I know would catch on as well? If you could interview certain baseball-players/coaches or even get in touch with famous ex-baseballers and have them write a piece for your website or an interview, video or audio although if you have video, you can cut the audio out of it and have both so your youtube channel would become something worth to keep an eye on for fans.

jobic, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  6. byronc

byronc Peon

Best Answers:
    whats your traffic flow if you have no pr..

byronc, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  7. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    right now there's little or no value in it. There's no PR and very little traffic, earnings will be weak also I'd expect. You're much better working on it for the next few years to even 5 years, I mean if in 5 years it's earning $500 - $1,000 a month through affiliate links and adsense then You'd be able to sell it for somewhere between $6,000 and $12,000. Quick buck arts come and go with the internet the slow and steady people last it out and make almost all the money online.

Try and build web 'assets' instead of creating a web 'site'. There's little or no value in your website nothing I couldn't put together within an hour or so.

I'm not going to lie to you, that's the honest truth.

Seqqa, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  8. God_is_faithful

God_is_faithful Peon

Best Answers:
    ^ I like the honesty. I understand and totally agree- Sticking with your site and working on it is the answer to making a successful site (theres no easy solution), you gotta have the passion to be commited to it, that will end up giving you traffic, PR and a constantly growing site. I simply don't have the passion to last me for the Baseball. I do for my Christian site, it's just something I love working on, but for Baseball Blogs it is a fizzling passion.. Sure, I love watching the Yankees as much as the next guy but the site belongs with a true baseball fan lol.

Anyway I do appreciate the tips, I guess what I may end up doing is just continuing to work on the site (add the forums and work on some videos maybe, as well as really making the affiliate shop as high quality as possible with as many products as possible). As the MLB season starts up, maybe someone will want to buy it.

Thanks for your tips guys

God_is_faithful, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  9. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Best advice I can get it sell off all the website you don't want any more, and keep or start up one new one that you'd be happy to run and build up for the rest of your life. I mean even in 2040 a 20 year old website about any subject, is going to be worth a lot of money just by the fact of how aged the domain will be. I have no idea what the internet will look like in another 20 years or so but, I've got a good feeling that those who made the right choose to build internet brands through blogs like TechCrunch and Mashable for example will be doing rarther well for themselves in 20 years time.

There's a saying that goes around and that's "Good things sometimes, take time.".

Seqqa, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  10. Avesel

Avesel Peon

Best Answers:
    As above, I can't really find an incentive to buy it unless:
    1) I am getting a bunch of traffic I need
    2) I'm too lazy to write my own articles but I still want to start a baseball blog.

I can't imagine many people being like 2).

Avesel, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  11. HavenX

HavenX Member

Best Answers:
    Just need to do some linking on it and that would be a great site for "world cup" as a keyword...30million are searching for the keyword monthly...just need to optimized it...:)

HavenX, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  12. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How much traffic it getts ?
    Any revenue
    If no reveneu it won't be atractive for nobody ...

w3bmaster, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  13. God_is_faithful

God_is_faithful Peon

Best Answers:
    The traffic is not vast, obviously. It's mostly people from the USA and some from Japan, I guess they like their Baseball too lol. Also Australia. It's about 4 months old and I've worked on it alot, changing the themes and site design. I'm guessing as the MLB season starts up people will come, and if I can keep the updating up, it will grow in popularity.. I'd like to sell it for a few hundred dollars but I guess it would be a large stretch to get that. Maybe if I update it for long enough and really work on building a baseball community around it, I can achieve that. Until then I will continue to make it as best as possible.

God_is_faithful, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  14. Bigger Biceps

Bigger Biceps Peon

Best Answers:
    put up some affiliate products maybe sell some bats and balls and gloves and helmets LOL
    MAke the theme nice looking

Bigger Biceps, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  15. aditd

aditd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What is the revenue of the site? This will increase or not the attraction for your offer.

aditd, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  16. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you can monetize it, you can make it sell-able; otherwise anyone one can do it.

omarabid, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  17. God_is_faithful

God_is_faithful Peon

Best Answers:
    The site has no revenue as I have not made any clickbank sales or adsense clicks yet. I'm sure the site has potential in the hands of someone who knows how to use it though. I will be trying to maximize traffic and therefore clicks soon, not sure how that will go though as I've never had too much success when it comes to getting advertising clicks.

God_is_faithful, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  18. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, then you'd be better off monetizing it - with Adsense, Kontera, or Infolinks, and then try to sell it.

I believe its monthly revenue x12

ForgottenCreature, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  19. saibee

saibee Peon

Best Answers:
    i think it can be sold easily...try to sell it at the digital point forum itself...

saibee, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  20. God_is_faithful

God_is_faithful Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I ended up listing the site on Flippa. It's alot of fun to run but I don't have the time as I'm working full time now.

The Alexa has improved since I started this thread (traffic has been increasing slowly but steadily which is nice).

Alexa is now: 770,000

Here's the link to the auction:

https://flippa.com/129553-Baseball-Site---Includes-Twitter-Youtube-accounts-etc

It comes with the Youtube and Twitter accounts and the rights to all the articles on the site (they are all original) and I'll set it up on anyone's server just the way it is right now.

Anyway, God bless and thanks for the tips

God_is_faithful, Apr 13, 2011 IP