1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

is Photoshop CS4 is capable of producing Vector Graphics?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by najeebputhiyallam, Dec 8, 2008.

i just installed Adobe Photoshop CS4. i saw many cool updates in it.. and i was using CS before :) but while am using CS i use Adobe Illustrator CS3 for vector graphics..

And while am saving in photoshop CS4 i can save my works in Ai format also..
    and i feel Photoshop is very comfortable to me.. so guys the doubt is

"Can i use Photoshop CS4 to Produce Vector Graphics"??

reply me guys..

najeebputhiyallam, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  2. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    Technically the Pen tool in Photoshop is vector, and yes, it handles vector formats, but it always thinks about the canvas in pixels.

If you are looking to create true vector artwork you need a vector illustration program like Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape (free from inkscape.org), and not a photograph manipulation profram that has a tool that happens to be vector.

Good luck!

innovati, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  3. campolar

campolar Peon

Best Answers:
    campolar, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  4. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    Fireworks is much better than photoshop in that way it handles vector graphics, but since it's focus is bringing vector and bitmap graphics together for the purpose of web viewing, it still thinks of the canvas in pixels.

The vector equivalent to Fireworks, the program that handles both bitmap and vector graphics, but keeps the canvas as vector is inDesign, which is used mainly for print design. There is no major advantage to using inDesign for graphics unless you're making multi-page documents, or designing documents with significant amounts of text on them.

Use the right tool for the job. Sure you could use the fat end of a screwdriver and enough force to drive a nail into a piece of wood, but using a hammer is always better.

The good news is that you don't need to purchase Adobe Illustrator to create professional quality vector graphics - Inkscape is very competitive with Illustrator, open-source (free) and cross-platform (windows, mac linux). It has certain advantages over illustrator, and illustrator has advantages over Inkscape, but bottom line is if you have neither it's a great way to have a professional quality vector program.

Go ahead and download it - what have you got to lose?

innovati, Dec 8, 2008 IP